Lake Hickory catfishing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Mifit 98 and myself are going to try out Lake Hickory for channel cats in the near future. Any information about creeks to fish, preferred baits, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks, mifit 98 and LakeNormanBlues.

2. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    i have a friend that i work with that lives on it and saids drifting humps ,holes works best for him, he said the best time he had on the lake was with a dead catfish he found floating and cut up .thats all i have ,i know you drift so you'll probably do well ,good luck. :0a23:

3. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have my best luck on shad,mussels,and bass minnows,I fish below Roadhiss dam and at the Gunpowder dam,I have had good luck all up in Gunpowder,dont go on the weekend unless its at night,to man:roll_eyes:y boat riders,good luck

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Mifit 98 and myself are going to do a day time trip on Lake Hickory Friday morning. I have my Jeff Gordon Zepco special all packed along with my tube of grasshoppers, some bream, hotdogs, Hardee's Tater Tots, white perch, etc. and I am expecting a great time.

According to the Charlotte Oberserver, Sports Section, there have been some nice stripers caught up there this past week. Sure hope they don't mess with us while we are fishing for a record channel cat. There is a time and place for everything. :wink:

It appears that Gunpower Creek is the place to drift, so that will be my suggestion to Mifit 98, unless he finds some cats elsewhere this morning. Wish us luck on our great adventure. Mac

5. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    I either got lazy and slept late or, if you prefer, you could say I opted for a "civilized" starting time this morning. Either way, I didn't put the first line down until 8:30. Water temp was 79, no wind and I only saw two other boats. I started a drift toward the back of GPCk in about 8 feet of water and pulled out to 15 feet. I offered them fresh perch and shad filets. Today they wanted the perch.

I pulled a couple of lines about 150 ft. back and one set of planer boards. All the hits came on the boards and on perch. I caught 3 channels. The smallest was 5 lb. and the biggest was 9 lb. Took the lines in at 10:30 when it started to get warm.

Bait was thick in the creek. Before I left I made about a dozen throws with the cast net...all of them blind throws...i.e. no surface activity. I caught from 15-30 shad on every throw and I was moving around to different spots. Only caught one perch with the net and none on the sibiki rig. The point being, if there's that much bait there've got to be some good fish in there.

6. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have a friend that Striper fishes Hickory alot. He has told me that Gunpowder creek is almost always full of bait. He said that he has draged baits through there many times with no luck, only to go out past the mouth and catch some. Good luck out there!!!!!

7. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Took WylieCat's advice about the afternoon bite in his post a couple of days ago. Started in the back of Gunpowder Creek about 3:30PM...fished until 6:00PM. Temp was 74 and wind was 2-3mph from the east. Bait was bream fillets and heads. Was in shallow water (9-15 ft.) so all bites came on planer boards.

Caught 6 channel cats and missed 2. Largest was 6 lb.

Went about 10 days ago in the AM and got skunked...thanks to Dieter for the afternoon advice!!

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Maybe it is the afternoon.

I fished Wylie this morning and the bite was off. Six channel cats from 7:30am-1:30. Well below average. A variety of baits were on board, but most came on whiter perch. Rodger was out there yesterday afternoon and landed the same number of fish in 2-3 hours, so that should tell you something. Sleep in and fish in the heat of the day!! :confused2:

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Dieter is right. I have looked at my fishing logs. The afternoon is great in the fall for channels. Drifting 8-20 feet with cut bait of your choice but take several bait types--sometimes they prefer one over the other...I do not know why.:wink:

10. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    I took an old friend to Lake Hickory today. Water temp was in the mid 70's, light and variable breeze, blue bird skies and HOT! We fished from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM. Bait was fresh shad and perch.

Caught 6 fish. Two weighed 10 lb. and one 9 lb. The smallest was 4 lb. and the little so-and-so ran across every line we had out and made the biggest mess you ever saw.

Seems the bite at LKH is in the PM right now.

11. crlail41

crlail41 New Member

State:
    Hickory NC
    Could you get to the shallow water buoy in the back of gunpowder? Haven't been in a while and might go Friday. Thought about going to the base of Little dam, but might be too shallow.

12. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Charles, I didn't go all the way to the back. I went back to about 8 ft. of water and started a drift back up to about 15 ft. and went back and forth.

13. waldorftbeagle

waldorftbeagle New Member

State:
    NC
    I live in Newton, I have seen cats taken out of Oxford and I have heard that Gun Powder is the pace to be. I know a couple kids that caught some nice cats off the bank at Gun Powder fishing with some homemade catfish bait.

Next trip I make, I am heading to gun powder with some cut bait and some crawlers, maybe take some mussels.

Tell you what, I watched some guys catch a ton of 2-3 pounders on grasshoppers near oxford. If you want the big ones only I say stick with the basic cut/live bait, If you want some cats to eat, grass hoppers, crickets, worms etc will do there.

Good luck

14. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I think I might head up there early Saturday morning and give it a try. Has anyone heard any info on the Striper bite???

15. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    me and my dad went up thery for stripers fri/sat/sun didnt catch a one but i did lose a monstor it had to b 20lbs+:confused2: hook came out i was sick and beat it all i lost it on a planner bord

16. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    I went exploring on LKH yesterday afternoon and got skunked. I fished 3 areas that were new to me and spent about an hour in each place.

I pulled 4 lines with the trolling motor from the back of 3 creeks out to the main channel. Baits were a combination of bream, shad and perch. Water temp was +/- 75 degrees. Wind was N-NE at about 15 mph and made boat control tough. I fished Naked Creek, Long Shoals Creek and the Rink Dam area. I dragged those baits deep and shallow; up, down and parallel to drops; across and up/down points and generally presented them every way I could think of. After an hour I started changing baits every 30 minutes.

I caught no fish and didn't even get a bite that I know of. I didn't even get a bite on the sibiki rig I had out all afternoon. The afternoon bite did not work for me yesterday.

17. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Mifit98 (Mac Mc) and myself are going to see if we can get a DD channel cat this AM. I have my rods and reels in the F150, some nice crappie and a large gizzard shad and three bream iced down in the cooler.

Lake Hickory smells of fish, so they must be there. Will let you'll know how we faired this PM. Mac

18. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Started at first light in Mifit98's Lund boat and found little or no wind, water surface temp. was 71.9 degrees and water was stained. Bait of choice was crappie and gizzard shad. We each had two side planer boards out with Carolina rigs and a pole each straight out the back.

One hour into the trip I get my first Lake Hickory channel cat and man did it put up a fight when it got close to the boat. It was almost eight pounds. A little while later Mifit98 gets himself an eating size channel. Hour of so later mifit98 gets himself a slightly larger channel than mine (closer to eight than mine, talking about oz's) and I get an eating size channel. The channels appeared to like the crappie better than the gizzard shad. I tried one bream head and got no takers.

For those of you that have never been to Lake Hickory it is one fishie looking place. Plenty of bait if you want to cast your net for them. Gunpower Creek is not real wide in some places and has several good points for night time fishing.

I thank Mifit98 for a good fishing trip and company and I hope he had a good nap when he got him, I know I did! For you youngsters, naps are what old timers do after they fish all morning. Also, I have it on good source that God does not count the time against us when we fish, he just tacks it on to the end of our projected life. Mac

19. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Work has been interferring with fishing. I haven't had the boat out in 10 days. Saturday afternoon was the wrong time (following a front, bright and sunny, etc.) but it was the first time I could go, so I did.

Water temp was 68 with west wind from 10-15 mph. Bait was frozen crappie and fresh shad (threw the net twice and had 20 shad from 5-10 inches).

Only had time to fish from 2:30 'till 5:00 PM but the bite was OK. Caught 2 channels at 7-8 lbs. and missed two that released the planers but slipped the hook. All bites were on planer boards.

Nice afternoon...beats working!

20. fish-n-pitch

fish-n-pitch New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have fished hickory several times and recently won a NCCATS tournament on it this summer and in my experience the bigger channels prefer bream heads or big gizzard shad heads.

On another note how do you guys fish for cats using planer boards, i know how to use them for stripers but for cats it has me confused.