Lake Hemet

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by SyKo450, Sep 15, 2009.

1. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Anyone been fishing out there?

Heard a lot of things about this place

2. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i have fished that lake quite a bit and it does have a healthy fish population,you goin up? i would like to go, i live at the bottom of 74 ,45 min drive , lake is somewhat tricky and a boat will increase your chances big time,the shore spot are taxed,lot of pressure
    what you fishin for

3. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    I'm hoping to go before the month ends or early next month

I would be fishing for catfish, maybe even largemouth

I live out here in Salton City

I was reading that they rent out boats for $45, if that's the case I'll be renting one of those

What do you mean by, shore spots being taxed?

4. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    summer bass 020 (Small).jpg

summer bass 014 (Small).jpg

summer bass 013 (Small).jpg
    yeah buddy, i live in palm springs area right near you, we should hook up and fish some time, you ever fish the canals or river on the other side of the sea? calipatria or brawley? big cats like the one in my avatar
    on the lake hemet tip, lots of pressure at shore spots,"i.e. taxed"
    i always rent a boat and have no info on catfishing there but i am an avid bass fisherman ,in fact i caught a 7lb 10 oz largemouth last week at lake cahuilla in la quinta,that lake has lots of cats and flatheads too!
    i have fished bass at hemet and done well with a 5+lb as my best but have a friend who has seen 10+lber's come out of there
    i know the bass spots and if you split a boat with a friend it is worth it
    5mph speed limit on lake but it is holding
    hope i was helpful,i do have some good spot info if you need it
    tite lines:cool2: summer bass 020 (Small).jpg

summer bass 014 (Small).jpg

summer bass 013 (Small).jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  5. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Never been to the canals out here, friend that I fish with has been to a canal near Niland a few times and came out loaded, one trip he took a while back he came out with 36 cats I believe, all in the 1-4lb range

I grew up fishing at Lake Cahuilla, never had any luck though, it's been at least 5 years since I've been there, never really knew where the good areas were, I use to nearly always be at the peninsula area with no luck; going back to that lake was on my mind for some day

What do you use for bass?

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Brian, Ric; how often do you fish the cannals Brian? I live in L.A I sure would like to fish the cannals in Brawley etc,etc. Maybe w could hook up some time fish the cannals what do you think?

Jaime

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    fished that lake many years yrs ago. bottem of lake is two dams. hope you have portable deph finder, but between the two, and out, is a hole. i've caught a lot of channels of good size out out of there.
    gary

8. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    That should be interesting, thanks

9. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    you can never go wrong with texas or carolina rigged plastics for bass, this time of year i am using big baits, 10 " v&m lizards in watermelon and pumpkinseed,alsoo i carolina rig big lizards or rage crawsor chigger crawsall in green ,brown or a junebug,but greaan n brown seem to do well,natural colors whatever you do,
    also black w/red or blue flake in chigger craws,love em.
    i throw a 11"yum big show paddle tail worm too,,aybe a few less smaller fish when throwin the big baits but some chunkers can't resist
    and there is always cranks and topwater if you have a lake with structure. i like the spro bronzeye 85 frogs on 50# suffix braid and chuck it deep in shallow cover as deep as you can and then hold on!!bass hit frogs like freight trains,it's in their genes,lots of frogs in their diets,so when they hit one they try to break its back and immobilize it,the strike is the gnarliest most exciting bass strike i ever seen,scares the crap out of ya sometimes if you aren't payin attention,i have a f;oat tube so i can get in those backwaters and smaller bodies n get right up in the cover,good way to go and cheap
    for those of who can't afford a boat
    on the canal side,i fish primarily for flatheads out on the alamo river in that area,some good fish to be had if you can lock down bait and know some spots

10. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i fish the canls a few times a month if possible, i'm an hour away so i hit it if i have a night to spare
    i would love to, hit me up anytime,i am always ready to go@!
    do you have heavy gear for flats?i live n hour away,perfect mid point for you
    i would like to make 5 or 6 more trips this year and right now is one of the best times of the year
    i am in between cars and have a beater truck i only drive to wrk,what do you drive ?
    i have all the bait tanks and gear for campin to make any trip comfy,i will supply if you fly:cool2:
    there are 60lb + fish in thealamo so prepare accordingly,this is my first year there and i have a few 20's, a 27 ,and my pers. best ,35 lbscaught the night befo0re the canals expeditions tourney with my buddy mangles
    i have good blue gill spots and alot of fishin holes so mull it over and let me know what you think
    i am right on the way for you,i/m me
    always on the go for big kitties,the cat rat is stalkin...:cool2:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  11. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    thank you gary, i have fishe dthat end plenty for bass and know there are boulders as big as houses down there with a few deeper holes
    there is bass cove but the points on the east side that stick out are where i like to carolina rig ol' lizzy for the bucketmouths
    so there are some nice cats there? never fished em, i know they get a few snow storms in the winter but the lake is right on the line as far as weather, any higher altitude and it would be mostly a trout lake
    what is you cat experience there?
    also i know you live down that way ,have you fished finney or ramer for flats?are they in there? i would like to fish with floats and a big gill there but do not know if flats are there
    i know it is fed by the canal system either east hiline or maybe alamo water, you input is appreciated

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    only fished that lake a few times for cats, but there used to be some nice channels in there. a big one there was 8-9lbs. i know some guys that still say they catch channels in hemet though.
    as for calexico area, only canals. i stick mainly around the yuma area. on river between imperial and picacho. usually come to blyth for the yearly gathering if i'm in town.
    i believe finney and ramer are in ca and now only have az licence. but never fished those lakes. have been told ramer does have flatheads by a local though.
    gary

13. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    thanx gary,im sure hemet has "stockers" but there will be a few holdover in there,yeah finney/ramer is in calipatria and i would assume they have flats, the food supply is there and the water supply has flats a+b=c,who knows,mught be worth a few hours,never fished flats in stillwater
    howo is the south river scene, any nice fish,report, i would run down that way, are there canals or river to shore fish down that way?

14. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I drive a Toyota Tacoma. Perfect, I can pick you up say On a Friday night and camp out all day Saturday and come back early Sunday. I have one out fit spooled with 20 pounds big game and I have my Saltwater gear Penn Jig Masters spooled with 30 and 40 pound test as well.

Jaime

15. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Which place are you talking about when referring to the bass fishing?

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    we've got the start of the all american canal here. flats in it all the way. i just can't fish it. then i've found a few spots on river. just had to buy some 80lb power pro cause 40 is getting broke off right below boat now. :angry:
    gary

17. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    sounds good jaime, im game.leave the 20 and bring the 500's w/ the 30-40 at least, 500's are good,got a cigi lighter in your truck?my bait system runs on it ,plus my battery when posted up
    hit me up soon an we'lll go flattin
    just like to keep it simple and relaxonce the bait is situated and the spot is dialed in
    flats are abound:cool2:

18. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    sucks ,but it is nice in a way when 40 is gettin broke off huh?
    bruisers are rollin,well, thanx for the input and soak a bait for the cat rat:cool2:

19. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    any place ,but if you want specifics, i don't know
    just look at the water you're fishin
    shallow,lots of tuli's,ltree's,bushes, go heavy and put a bait in the middke of it
    try the same more than once,a fish may not move 6 in. to hit a bait so it may take a few castsw in the same spot
    open water use the fan cast method,try a few baits but start with a crank and then work down to a plastic or jig
    search the open water with a faster bait and if you get hit or a fish,drop back a plastic ,there may be more there
    this is a common bass tchnique

20. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Sounds complicated, but I'll give it a try, thanks