Lake Hefner Oklahoma City

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Flintman, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    This is how bad one of our city lakes is looking, this is where I do my close to home fishin, (or did). They are running some water from Canton Lake in northern Okla. but I know its hurting Canton pretty bad. I hope the spring rains are good and fill up all these lakes and others around the country that need it.The #2 pic is our heated dock. Probably stuck in themud forever....

Attached Files:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Shucks, Flint. From what the paper and the internet has to say, Oklahoma is in the second year of a ten year drought. It is gonna get worse.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Second year my elbow. You guys oughta come down here to SW Oklahoma and snoop around a bit. Our catfish down here have ticks!

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Canton has shut off their discharge. The water is now below the riprap on Canton which means there is NO spawning habitat for the walleye. The Canadian river is not flowing so expect no sand bass run and no Walleye Rodeo. 2 boat ramps are still open in the Canadian arm of the lake. Crappie are biting well. The next proposed discharge from Canton is 3/15/07 and 15,000 acre feet. This equates to dropping Canton approx 3 more feet. Without the Canadian River flowing this lake could be in serious trouble this summer.

catman george

5. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Dang Tom, too bad you didn't pics of some of the sailboats. This boat is over by the police station. Also, TooShallow3, is from a few days after the water release started.
    Will

Attached Files:

6. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Lawerence I didn't know that. I knew we were in bad shape but thats really bad. Maybe some of that kansas flood runoff will help us a little.

Jerrod, Ive fished Lugert for many years, I havent been down there for about 4 years but i knew you guys have had it bad for a while. I have also seen that lake full and runnin thru the gates big time. hope too again some day,

7. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Will, Thanks for the sailboat pics, I took some viedo of the sailboats stuck in the mud. Thanks for the links on Hefner Info. That will come in handy if we ever get a usable boat ramp, there may be one now I havent been over there in 2 weeks.

George I love to fish Canton, Ive spent many weekend on that longdale side, caught lotz of fish. Sounds like you guys are in worse shape than us. It may take a spring flood to fill everything back up.
    Good fishin to all.

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Shoot, Flint.... that lake will fill up in no time. It was full in 2001, and I don't think it'll take but a few good gullywashers to get it back up to capacity again. I think it's raining in the floodplain right now. We'll have that lake kicked up a few feet within the next week I'm sure. Unfortunately, it's got quite a few feet to go. Twenty something feet low I believe.

Oh well, it just makes the fish a more "captive audience" if you ask me.:cool2:

9. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My poor lake..lol..

I lived in okc for many years,and hefner was one of my favorite fishing spots..used to fish off the "beach" there where they put in the sailboats on the north side,and used to catch cats over by the park..Now I am up at grand lake with over 1000 miles of shoreline..learning A lake all over.Thanks flint for the shots.

Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

10. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    City of OKC has agreed not to pull water from Canton on 3/15 as previously agreed. This will allow ODWC to net the walleye that are about to spawn on the dam in order to strip some of the females of their eggs to be fertilized with milt from male sauger to produce saugeyes for stocking of state lakes. The water may be released from Canton after that but when is unknown.

catman george

11. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    That is good news. I know Okc is not hurting for drinking water right now so there aren't any compelling reasons to release the water on that day. Hopefully the netting will produce a lot of fish. I've heard they stack up there pretty good this time of year.

We sure could use some rain though. They came out and measured the water in my neighbor's well. It is 6ft lower than this time last year. I hear it is may rain on Sunday. That would be a good thing.