Lake Hefner 8-14

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fishinphenom, Aug 14, 2009.

1. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    went out to lake hefner last night 8-14 ... caught 5 blues on cut shad.. smallest was about 1.5 lbs and biggest was 10lbs.. fished from about 7pm to 11:30pm on the west side of the lake along the dam..

Ken

2. Southern Woman

Southern Woman New Member

State:
    Texas
    :big_smile: Good fishing Ken. Never fished Lake Hefner but would like to.

3. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Good to hear someone caught something out there. I too went out last night with my GF not a hit. We were on the south side up in one of the coves and by one of the boat ramps.

4. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I've had most of my luck at lake hefner on the west side along the dam...i went last saturday and caught 2 cats and 4 sandbass..

5. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have fished ft cobb lots of times but I have never done any good out there... I think I read another post of yours somewhere saying that you fish out there pretty often?

6. Southern Woman

Southern Woman New Member

State:
    Texas
    My husband has fished it for more than 20 years and we liked it so much that we bought a lake house on Fort Cobb Lake. Our main home is in Texas.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  7. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    congrats..on a nice stringer of fish,is there flatheads in that lake?

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    congrats on a good nights fishing

9. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I think there are.. but i rarely hear of anyone catching them.. I dont think the geography and the way the lake is favors flatheads..

but i have seen a few pictures of flats that were supposedly caught from lake hefner..

10. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    Not bad for Hefner, good job. I don't think it's much of a flathead lake, I was talking to Charles Jones this spring and he said he had never caught a flat head. And you know he fishes Hefner alot and has for years. Its probably because he uses his punchbait though. But you would think they are in there because they are in the river and Overholser. I went out last night to the river on some private land and caught a couple of small channels. Got my bunny pic for the contest.

11. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    what is this bunny pic i keep hearing about? i think i might have missed something...

12. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

LOL glad to see I am not alone!

13. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    fall fish off

14. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice blues! Did ya enter in BOC HOF?? :big_smile:

15. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    went out to hefner again last night and was able to get an answer to the question about the flatheads out there...

ended up with 1 blue 1 flathead and a few channels... the flat head was 14lbs and the blue was about 5lbs.. while the channels were between 2-4 lbs..

sorry i was too lazy to edit the pics...

with all the rocks and riprap out there it could be a good flat head lake.. i think specifically targeting them would be the hard part...

Attached Files:

16. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have seen some flat come out of there. I saw a dead one last year that was around 15lbs. I see that you fish the dam at night. Is it that dangerous? If I fish the dam I am usually up by the inlet tower. Oh and do you through from the road or do you climb over and fish from the rocks?

17. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I've fished up near the tower before for crappie but never really done any good for anything else over there..

By dangerous do you mean scrambling down the rocks dangerous? or like a car passing by running over you dangerous?

I usually cast from the top and when I catch a fish i'll scramble down the rocks to bring it up.

18. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I mean scrambling down the rocks. What size rods do you use? I don,t think mt eights are big enough. I do have an eleven that would work. Always wondered how people fish from the road

19. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I use a 13ft and 11.5 ft rods with 5 oz lead.. when i hook a fish I stand on top of the wall to reel it in to keep the weight from hitting and getting stuck on the rocks..

20. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Do you use that set up just because you are casting from the road. Do you think if I was willing to sit on the rocks that I would do fine with an 8ft and 2oz?