Lake Havasu/Colorado river

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by azcataholic, Oct 9, 2008.

1. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Last Weekend I met up with my son and a family friend and went to Sandpoint Marina. We fished Friday and Saturday evenings and some in the morning. We did not try fishing for flatheads, caught about 10 two to four #ers, channel cats. Most of the channel cats were caught on 1/2 anchovies with #3 hooks. We generally have used anchovies in that area because you may hook into some nice striper with same bait. We had a good old time, its always good when you are able to get together with family and friends, and catch fish!

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    thanks for the report. i like fishing havasu, if the wind will stay down. usually go to a boat in camping spot and fish from there.
    how was the shad? much yet?
    if your gonna try flatheads, try the intake pipes. locals will tell you there isn't any, but don't listen to them. LOL
    gary

3. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Gary, Saw a couple of mini boils small striper chasing probably shad. We anchored right next to the pumping station, there is a small cove on the Sandpoint side of pumping station[intake]right. The wind was a concern on Saturday night that is why we chose there. We caught 3 or 4 fish in the cove over night. We did try with two small bluegill, no hits. The most action was straight across from pumpimg station just outside the boat in campsite area. You are right, the boat in sites are clean and most protected from wind. It has been about 18 years since I fished that area,it was a good time.

4. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Glad you had fun Mike, I have not ever fished Havasu but want to some day. Nice job on the kitties :cool2:

5. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Havasu is my all time favorite lake. Been going there since the early 50's. if the wind doesn't blow you off the lake catching fish isn't a problem.

:cool2:

6. wildman2121

wildman2121 New Member

State:
    california
    Gary,

What's the catfish like this time of year down in Arizona?

7. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I have a couple buddys that use to do really well out at havasu fishing for flatheads at night using live bluegill,with fish up to around 30lbs.And this was about 5 years ago.Im sure the flats have been getting bigger since.I read that fish up to the mid fortys have been laneded,and it sounds like not many anglers are targeting them.Sounds like a perfect senerio to grow some monster flats.Maybe one day Ill get to havasu,catching stripers/small mouth/largemouth in the day and then setting up for flatheads at night sounds like an awsome fishery.

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    wildman, check my arizona river report i made today. give you a update with it.
    i'll call you soon as i rest up from it and see if i have your number still.
    gary