Lake Hartwell - Where are the catfish!!!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by StankBaitHooker, Feb 2, 2008.

1. StankBaitHooker

StankBaitHooker New Member

State:
    Clemson SC
    Somone has to speak up here and share something, anything! 8 Hours on Hartwell today from 12 mile to Twin Lakes and we couldnt buy a fish to bite! Sad to say that since the weather was just right today. Tried drifting/anchoring in coves and channels deep and shallow. I dont know, got a headache out of it thats for sure. Anyone have any luck past few days? Today? Maybe its just me, but let me know if its not. Would make me feel a heck of alot better, hah! Shoot a PM if you have any kindness within to help a young brother out. Much appreciated.

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hey Rich, you might wanna get the herring out thats in your cooler, I forgot it, lol.

Yea man we tried our best. I can say we left smarter than when we got there. Learned a few things at least ( that there anit no fish there, LOL ) and thats a good start. I can promise one thing, come summer it's on. This is also my first winter cattin so next year we will be that much closer to learning.

I did get my 1st net of shad, that was cool ; ) I'm slowing zeroing in on them.

Had a good time anyway , thanks for the day out Rich !!

-Jim-

3. StankBaitHooker

State:
    Clemson SC
    Hah, yeah you did forget it. Want me to hold onto it for you? Yeah we sure did learn alot today, and now i know i need to make new rigs. Day spent well though in the long run. Still heartbroken, but waht can you do? Looking forward to next time out there with ya.

4. StankBaitHooker

State:
    Clemson SC
    As bad as today was, i think im gonna try and get em on the bank tomorrow....I just cant resist. Hey i got sun burned.....hah, you?

5. longbow310

longbow310 New Member

State:
    sc
    I missed two cats yesterday. I think they were small ones because they didn't pull that hard on the line. they only pulled hard enough to take the slack out of the line and make the rod tip tap hardly.

6. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    No sun burn here, I had to many cloths on, LOL.

Shoot the other day we didnt even get a few bites. I prolly wont fish until the weekend , if I can even do that.

-Jim-

7. StankBaitHooker

State:
    Clemson SC
    Caught a 3 lber the day after we went off the bank at my little spot, couldt believe i we were on the boat all day and nothing then i go out off the bank and hook one within an hour.....:eek:oooh:. Was nice to at least get one even though it was tiny.

8. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Are you using the same baits that we were ?

-Jim-

9. StankBaitHooker

State:
    Clemson SC
    Got him on that cut up striper...Caught a bream today too! Got that little guy on the sabiki but no catfish went after it, i was very sad about that.

10. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Hartwell 2/7/08

Hartwell is being Hartwell still and the cats are slow so I went striper fishing with and new friend of mine Captain Jim ( I met him from Bambu ).

Again, the arches were there but the fish had lock jaw again. We spent a long day out there with little to show for it but I was lucky to land my first ever Hybrid @ 6.9 pounds.

We only caught one fish but the day wasn't wasted. We had a good old time talking and enjoying the beauty that Hartwell has to offer. Jim is a fishing encyclopedia, and what I call a simple man. I honestly think all the cursing @ the fish scared them to death. I told him ya gotta sweet talk em
    but he wouldn't bit that hook, LOL.

http://imageigloo.com/images/4174100_1877.jpg

http://imageigloo.com/images/4881100_1875.jpg

Hard to see but this is a pic of his release

http://imageigloo.com/images/8209100_1878.jpg

-Jim-

11. StankBaitHooker

State:
    Clemson SC
    That is a solid lookin fish, congrats! Glad you had a good time out there. What you catch him on?

12. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    nice hybrid, they dont seem to want any live bait?:confused2: did you get him on a blueback, gizzard or trout?

13. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    He took a herring. No takers on the big baits.

14. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC

15. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Having the same luck with the cats too, been that way for over a month