Lake Hartwell Thermocline

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by droptine77, Jun 6, 2007.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    How soon do you Hartwell experts start looking for the thermocline? Or is already begining towards the dam? I just got a new Humminbird that supposedly will show it and was just wondering when to look for it and when to incorperate into my fishing now that I know what to look for. Thanks in advance for any help. Greg.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Ahhh the dreadfull thermocline.It's already startin to set in heavey on Lake Greenwood and Lake Murray so its probably startin pretty good on Hartwell too.I hate it.If you wondering if the graph is really showin you the thermocline, drop a live bait down below it in 5 to 10 minutes pull it in and if its gills are flared out and its dead then your graph is showin the thermocline.

3. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Saturday night I dropped some herring straight down under the boat about 25' and they were still alive after 30 mins. or so, but I think it will set in soon, as hot as it is getting

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    it normally doesnt set in good till july but as warm as its been it may be setting up already.

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Usually the water has to get up in the 80's and stay there a little while for the thermocline to show up up here. The water is in the 80's and it's probably starting to show up here too. I hate it. I have found that bigger blues seem to suspend and scatter when the thermocline sets in. They are normally tough for me to catch in the heat of the summer, but I did pretty god one day last year fishing slip corks about 10-15 ft. down over water that was 30-70 ft. deep and I got a bunch of decent channels and three good blues, a 24, 27, and a 32. Has anyone else noticed this, or where else do you find blues during the thermocline. I know they are shallow, but are they in shallow water or suspended. Thermocline up here is usually around 25 ft. on Badin and sometimes around 50 ft. on Norman. Thanks!

6. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    We fished bream last night in 35 feet of water for over an hour and they stayed alive the whole time. I think the rate that they pull water fromhartwell may mess the thermocline up towards the upper end of the lake. 2 years ago I caught a 15 lb flathead in 49 feet of water in august when the water temp was in the upper 80's. Go figure:confused2:

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    yup, current messes up the thermocline. I fish a small lake with lots of current in the summer and catch blues at 50 ft. all the time with no sign of a thremocline. current keeps the water churned up.