Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what depths you guys have been having the most luck? ive caught two blues over 10 lbs in about 10-15 ft of water and a few big flatheads in 25-30 ft. Noticed most of my good holes have changed this year not producing probably because of the water level. Hoping to get some help.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i normally fish hartwell once a week for bigger fish, and so far this year i have done great on
blues from 10 to 20 pounds. i started out in my spots from last spring, but it didnt take long to see
that the lake levels had changed things. i like to fish from 7 to 20 feet during spring, so i moved
up the lake about a mile to get back to the depth i wanted. once i moved up i started catching fish
like normal. i had very little luck on bluebacks, but when i got some cut gizzard shad it was on.
im just learning how to use a computer so this is my first post ever. ive joined this site about a month ago , and it looks like there are two other guys on here who know how to fish hartwell pretty good,
jimmyjohnny and weatherman trey. maybe they can help with this also. good luck

·
Registered
516 Posts
We caught a 17 and 15lb blue and a 17lb flathead this past Saturday night. All of them were in less than 10 feet of water. Exact depth isnt that important right now though. It's more about structure,spawning areas, and baitfish. We where tucked back in a little cove that I knew had some huge underwater stumps and undercut holes that I inventoried when the water level was way down. Out in front of the cove the river channel dropped all the way down to 65 feet deep.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and we don't even mess with blueback herring anymore. Between the channels robbing them off our hook, and them getting mushy and falling off. It's just not worth it. Especially when I'd much rather have a bigger piece of bait out there in the first place.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I was out today but I was looking for Stripers with a friend. We fished out by 320/620, landed a few for the freezer,but nothin to brag about. Shoals and points were doing ok just before/after daylight with both live and cut herring ( I would say the cut is doing better ). Didn't see any cats sitting at 105' down, LOL.

For the most part I've done better on cut bass, crappie, and perch. At this point I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket, try it all....live/dead/deep/shallow. Some fish may be spawning but I don't think many. Water temp average is 75* on the lake, when it gets closer/over to 80* I'll be more in the spawn mode.

Ya'll remember how it was last year....? the spawn from hell.....?? I thought it would never end, LOL.

I know some are fishing shallow but I'll stick to my guns and keep throwing lines out by both the channel and the shallow,.... my bigger fish are still coming from the channel.

Herring are still thick as can be in the creeks but your more likely to catch striper/hybrids on them...but hey,,,,nothing wrong with that ; )

I'm gonna hit it again tonight or tomorrow night. I'm seeing a lot of Hartwell reports out so I'll go ahead and keep reporting as long as others are. Keep in mind that my reports aren't from the real shallow areas because I don't have a motor and cant reach them in my boat, but from what I've seen,,,I'm not missing too much yet.

Keep them reports up folks..It's nice to see them, I appreciate it.

-Jim-

PS.......what area of the lake are you fishing ?

-Jim-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.