Lake Hartwell Shad

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dust777man, Jun 19, 2007.

1. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Been trying to catch some shad in Hartwell. Had good luck before it got hot back in May. Was catching a cast net full of threadfins then. Ever since it has gotten hot I have had a tough time of catching any. Been catching a few gizzard shad though. Last night (the 18th), I went out and tried to catch some under lights. A bunch of bait fish was under them but they were to small to catch in the net. I am using a 5 ft radius cast net. Last night I was in about 18 ft of water. Had been catching them in 2-7 ft of water. Tried in 3 ft of water last night too. Caught one is all. The questions I have is Should I be using a bigger net with a faster sink rate in the deeper water? Also what kind of lights are the best to use? And what about these Sabiki rigs I have been hearing about? Do you think they might work? It gets so expensive to buy bait and would like to keep catching bait but it is getting tougher to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yes you should prolly try a bigger net maybe 7' or 8' if you can throw it. The main thing is mesh size after radius 3/8 is ok for threads but 1/2 is too big and most Threads will get out. Sabiki rigs work for herring and those bigger Hickory Shad as I have heard them called. I caught 4 dozen threads in two throws Sunday around Lawrence Bridge under a High pressure sodium light 150 watt in 18 feet of water. Alot of them got gilled in the net but I was throwing a 8' 3/8 mesh clear "old salt" brand net .Have some one cover the light as soon as your net hits the water. Another trick I use is to cover the light partially after you have alot of bait swimming around and the will come closer to the surface when you dim the light almost completely they wont hesitate about coming up.

On a side note How big are the gizzards you are catching I have a problem catching gizzards on hartwell with any consistancy. I have never caught over a dozen on any particular day/night.

3. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have caught gizzard shad up to 12" long as of late with most of them around 7-9" long. Caught a few this morning.

I will try some of your advice. There is alot of baitfish up this way. Been working with a 7' net. Getting better with it. I will let you know how I do. It will probably be early next week before I try though as I am going to fish the Wateree River this weekend.