Lake Hartwell report 4-23-07

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by foothills, Apr 23, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    put in at 12 mile creek this morning and anchored in 31 feet of water...by 9:00 am i had 2 hits that i did not hook up on but that all changed by 9:10 am...my rod got slammed and just as i got it out of the rod holder and turned the reel about 3 or 4 turns the fish got off the hook...gone...felt like a nice fish...then around 9:40 am another rod went down...i'm 95% sure this was a falt head because of the way it pulled the rod down...this fish was pulling so hard i could'nt get my rod out of the rod holder...the fish had it wedged in there...after some effort i got the rod out and started fighting the fish...man this thing had the drag singing and was pulling like crazy...i could feel my line "popping" off the fish several times and i was worried about him breaking my 25 lb leader...about 2 to 3 minutes into the fight my line went limp...i thought he had broke my leader but when i reeled in the rest of the line i had my whole rig...he just came off...at this point i am physically sick and about in tears...after fishing for 6 hrs and all the lost fish i did manage to boat one blue around the 5 lb range...i was using size 7/O hooks...so what size hooks do y'all use when anchored for "big fish" ??

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm fixin to start usein stinger treble hooks because I'm sick and tired of loosein fish.Its the only other way I know of.

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Must be heartbreaking!!! If you tell me exactly where you where I promise to stay away!!!!:wink:

4. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    8/0 octopus circles, and 7 and 8/0 kahles, seems to work for me

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have been using 6/0 circles on greenwood for the channels while drifting and they have been working great but i'm thinkin i might upgrade to 8/0 circles with stingers for big fish hunting like chrisblue was talking about.

6. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i did tell you...12 mile creek:big_smile:

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    And you better not tell anymore than that.:lol:

8. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    ahhhhhhhhh.............come on!:lol::lol::lol:

9. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    It must have been the moon phase. I also lost a few this weekend with 7/0 circles.

I bet if we try trebble hook stingers we would catch a lot more 8 - 12" fish :big_smile:

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Although that hole didnt do us to good saturday, I still aint tellin.:0a33: :lol: :lol: I'm on the search for the 129lb hole now though.

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    You probably right Rich but I think the big fish will just grab part of the bait and not the whole hook sometimes too.For me it always seems to be in the spring time when fish do alot of short strikeing(grabbing the bait behind the hook and actually pullin drag for a momment before they spit it out).Then reel it in to find big jaw prints on the bait just behind the hook(tell me that aint smart).In the summer when I use whole 6 to 12" bait I hardly ever have a problem with short strikein.

12. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I went though all this a few years back and finally went to a 12/0 circle. Yeah thats huge, but lay one in a 25-30 pound blue or flatheads mouth and look at the lips. I lost alot of fish, and still bust one off, but it makes me sick for one to load up and pull of. I really think it's rolling off the fishes lips. Compare the mouth of a channel to a blue and flathead and then think it over. Yeah 12/0 is big, but if you hunt big fish it's not so big.

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris you got a 125 lb hole isnt that about what you got in the last 2 there with-in 2 weeks apart. 70 something then 50 something sat that would be a good hole by any standards.

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah but it wouldnt produce that in one day.Thats the problem.

15. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    me and greg saw where chrisblue's hole is up 12 mile when we we're fishing this weekend... don't worry your secret's safe with us!:lol: I've fished right around your spot several times last summer and pulled out a 12lb flathead and a few small blues but that was it. Just gotta be there at the right time i guess...

16. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris even if it doesnt produce that in 1 day i still want gps coordinates.:big_smile:

17. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I understand. No holes revealed. Well I went last night to my hole ''hartwell'' and actully had a good night. It started out bad when the lid for my bait tank blew out of the boat and coincadently it had the pump and the pipes attached. By the time I got turned around it was in a million pieces. Wasn't long after I got anchored I got a 8lb blue. I missed quit a few and I agree with the short strike and I tell you fresh bait makes so much differance. The herring breaks down so fast that if a cat makes a good run he can pull your bait off. All in all I only put 3 fish in boat but what made the night the night so good was I had 4 rods out the back 1 out to the side under a float. I hadn't looked at the float for a few minutes and all of sudden my boat turned sideways. Being after dark it honest to GOD scared me untill I realized it was the rod with float with its tip pointed up the lake. By the time I quit crying cause I thought the lok ness monster was going to get me the hook pulled out of its mouth and it was gone. It must have been a big stiper or a blue because I was double anchored. Felt good to get bite again.

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Oh that wouldnt us theres lots of light blue center consoles on Hartwell.We caugth all the fish up behind the Keowee dam or was it the Tugaloo arm of the lake or was it down at the dam.Man I cant remmember.

19. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Gregg I've had my whole intire bait tank blow out before.As soon as it hit the interstate an 18 wheeler hit it.If that hadnt of happened I would have been able to slavage most of it.I feel your pain.:lol:

20. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I use to use a bait tank all the time, but quit a few months ago because of the hassel of it, but I am considering using it again, cant beat the freshness.