Lake Hartwell Giant Blue

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JimmyJonny, May 8, 2008.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Captain Jim and I hit Hartwell around 2am Thursday morning to do some cattin in the rain. Soon after we anchored up another BoC member ( Larry ) pulled up next to us to say high. They were on their way in from fishin all night but came over to give us the low down. I wont spill the beans on their catch but man...Larry had a giant flathead ; )

After Larry left I'm sure he was thinkin we were fools for fishing where we were. We fish some of the same areas but this spot had produced for us 2 days ago so we had to try it.....man did it pay off !!!!!

I admit, after seeing Larry's cat I didn't think we had a chance to come close to his fish but we gave it a shot. The night started off great...lots of cats, and nice ones.

Then it happened................ FISH ON !!!! Jim grabbed the rod and he knew it was a biggin. I cleared all rods while Jim fought the fish. It took a long time to even see this thing but there he was, I freaked man, I never saw a cat this big. Jim got him to the boat and I tried 4 times to net him but his head only fit in the net. I couldn't do a thing with him so plan "B' went into play...I stuck my hand right in his mouth...he thrashed and Jim had to grab me by the shirt to keep me from goin in. I'm a pretty strong guy but I couldn't lift him for the life of me. After him skinning half my hand I had to give up.

I knew one thing...I was not letting this fish get away !!!! I did the only thing left to do....I JUMPED IN....yes sir I went in after him......Off the back of the boat I went " splash ". About 6' of water I mouthed him and push us into water where I could stand. From there I gave him the Bear hug while he thrashed like crazy in the water. Finally I got him a shore where I pretty much fell out on the ground. I was wore out but didn't realize how much till it was all over.

We have 2 scales on the boat and they go to 50lbs and this blue buried both the scales. We wont ever know what he weighed but he was over 50......easy.

After admiring him it was his time to go back. He wasn't doing good at all so I went back in the water with him for awhile. I went back and forth, back and forth praying he would make it. Then suddenly he started to swim. I let him go, he turned, looked at me and ever so gently he swam back into the deep where he came from.

We caught more fish after that but I was wet and cold and couldn't just take it any more...I had to get off the water. Jim understood, no big deal.

Jim doesn't catfish much but he finally went for it. The funny part is that Jim had just got done telling me his biggest cat was only 8lb........

CONGRATS CAPTAIN JIM !!!!!! well done brother ; )

Flathead
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2255.jpg

Blue
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2256.jpg

Blue
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2259.jpg

Striper
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2268-1.jpg

big blue
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2247.jpg

Captain Jim's Pb Blue.....#50+
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2265.jpg

Me with Jim's fish
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2261-1.jpg

-Jim-

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Thanks for post Jim,that was a great story behind the fish,well done and well wrote,would have like to have seen a video of you wrestling the big boy,congrats to you both on the big one:wink:

3. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Great catch, surely ya'll did not take it home to it. I don't want to get on a soapbox or anything but those are the ones that are CPR it will take a while for a fish that size to be replaced either way nice catch

4. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Joe...to clear the air on this CPR thing I did write that I went back in the water, with the blue and brought him back to health and let him go.

We chose not to find bigger scales to weigh him because I wouldn't dare risk hurting that fish ; )

All of our fish are released and so far this year around 100 fish were put back in Hartwell already. If someone fishes with us they are welcome to keep eaters but our rule stands... CPR em !!!!

-Jim-

5. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    GREAT fish jim congrats to you and your friend.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Thank you and sorry and heres a PAT ON THE BACK one great fish man. That rule is as mine if they are small eater fish my buddy wil keep em but 15+ will and does go back in. It's getting/gonna get a lot better not having to drive 4 hours to catch big fish. Were they on herring thats what we caught all ours on, and the flatheads were on live herring(1st time ever) we had one pull on a big bream

7. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Joe, I got to excited and forgot to write the info, LOL.

Yes, all fish were caught on herring in 20' of water

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice fish I see you all really been on some fish lately.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Great syory and a great catch. That is some team work for sure. Jump in and get him!! LOL You can be on my team anytime. Should of hooked those scales together and weighed him!! LOL

10. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What a hawg!! Congrats! I bet that was intense.

11. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    GET THA NET!!!!!!NO! A BIGGER NET!!:smile2:

12. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats one the HUGE fish man!!! I came home from work tired and was going to wait and go tomarrow night, but dang man, I cant stand it Im going right now. See yall later.

13. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Congrats guys. It makes really Jealous!:smile2:

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Congradulations on the Hawg Daddy blue.I guess that myth about there being no big blues in Hartwell is a heaping load of crap.

Myth busted.:cool2::smile2:

15. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Wow, what an incredible fish, and story! Congrats Capt Jim!

16. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Nice job guys, very exciting story! I knew there had to be some big uns in Hartwell. That will get your blood pumping. Congrats:wink::smile2:

17. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Way to go guys!! You just had to go and 1 up me didn't ya.....LOL ...... That thing makes our Flattie look small.....and such a great story to go with it. I must say you guys deserved that fish and many more. Keep it up, and I knew if you guys stayed in that area too long you would get your line stretched sooner or later!!!

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hellofva story, and a GREAT catch!!!! Talk about adrenalin! I got plenty just reading that!!!!! Thanks for sharin' that experience, Jimmy!
    BB in SC

19. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Great story and pics. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed it.

20. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Great story and great pics. Congrats on all of the fish especially that big blue!