Lake Hartwell first timer

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by foothills, Apr 8, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i'm wanting to start fishing hartwell and really have no clue about this lake at all...i was wondering about the six & twenty area and the 12 mile creek area for catfishing...are these good areas and what boat ramps should i use??...was loooking at brown rd access & hurricane creek and also clemson access & 12 mile rec area...are these ramps "safe" places to park or are they prone to vandalism???...do any of them require permits??

2. catfish_ken

catfish_ken New Member

State:
    Belton,SC
    Hi , welcome to the area. I don't have a boat but I do work for the local Sheriff's Office and during the summer months we do have some problems with the ramps in the county, no one , more than the other. We have vehicles broken into and trailers stolen but I guess any area around a large lake would have this problem. We do have a lake patrol during the summer months and all they do is patrol the ramps. This year we will have a boat in the water as well. Good luck fishing on hartwell I now they are some huge cats in the lake, I am also a diver here and have seen some, that made me want to get out out of the water down behind the dam in the deep water.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    huiircane creek is ok during the day and fairly safe at night as long as it is crowded. I did get a window busted once there at night but my truck was the only one in the parking lot. twelve mile is about the same. maybe a bit more crowded. the only ramp i know of that has a guard is portman marina but it cost 7 or 8 bucks to launch there, not to far from hurricane creek area but a good ride to twelve mile. both areas have good catfishing though. the lake is hard to catfish cause it so deep and clear. Chris Simpson seems to have it figured out though from what I hear.

4. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    are there other areas that i should consider to fish that may be better than the ones i mentioned??...i hope hartwell is easier to fish then monticello!!:crazy:

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think it is harder. Monty you can find fish easier but getting them to bite is a different story. it has alot of areas to drift also has alot of under water timber along with alot of other cover, from old houses, churchs, cemetaries, junk yards, a couple of under water bridges, lots of road beds and so on. so just finding fish can be a chore at times.

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Craig, I've tried Hartwell several times last year and have found it to be extremely frustrating. I think that I was skunked about 7 times. The best trip I had was with Chris, but we only caught a few small blues, nothing over 6 pounds I believe. Each trip I was able to mark many large fish on my depth finder, but could not get them to bite. However, I could not tell if they were catfish or stripers, which often hang out in the deep water there. I primarily drift fish, and Hartwell is full of snags, so if you're gonig to drift you need to find places conducive to that, otherwise I think that you'd be better of anchoring. I've launched from the Broyles ramp as well as 12 Mile and Seneca and have had no problems with break-ins or anything.

7. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

thanks for info pat...i prefer to drift as well but i'll anchor if i have to...good to hear from you again...been to greenwood lately?

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Craig, I haven't been fishin' since mid-January, as I coach JV lacrosse at Mauldin high school. However, this is the last week of our season, and you can bet your bippy that I'll be back on the water the week after. I hear a 20# Greenwood channel calling my name...:big_smile:

9. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    It's all good. Just need to fish it long enough to figure them out. 12 mile has a fee, Clemson , and Hurricane don't and not sure about a fee at Brown Road. You just need to send the time.

10. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    Dont bother fishing around 12 mile or the Keowee river, there aint no fish around those areas:big_smile_2:

11. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I've gotten my windows busted out two different times at the seneca creek boat ramp. So be careful if you put in there. 12 mile access had a fee but it seems pretty safe. And the fishing can be real good if you are in the right place at the right time.