Lake Hartwell Drifting

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by StankBaitHooker, Jan 29, 2008.

1. StankBaitHooker

StankBaitHooker New Member

State:
    Clemson SC
    How is drifting on Hartwell? Do you guys recomend it, or not because of all the underlying structure. If not Hartwell what about keowee? Hope someone can gimmie some info. Thanks. ​

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    You can drift, we did it today on Hartwell. Hartwell is a standing timber lake so you really need to find good passes.

Keowee I don't know yet. I haven't been on a boat out there yet.

I got the ok for Saturday night if ya wanna work on the bait thing...keep in touch ; )

-Jim-

3. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have drifted a number of times on Hartwell and just like Jim said, you need to find good passes. When I didn't pay attention to where I was drifting, I would stay hung up alot.

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i like drifting hartwell, that is about all I do anymore unless it is to windy to drift or the fish arent doing anything.

5. StankBaitHooker

StankBaitHooker New Member

State:
    Clemson SC
    Fining good passes, would that come about by just experiencing the how it is as you go along and return on that same path, or stay in the deep ends of the lake...I've seen a few homemade drit buckets to sub for a sock, how do thoes fair. Thanks

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea Rich we use drift socks and trolling motor. You would have to watch your graph and then go back if the bottom looks pretty good and there are fish. From what I saw today ( 1st time ) is there is tons of big drop off's. We saw some that had 20' drops out of no where. Most water was 17' to 35' where we were but little amounts of fish were spotted. If the drops have any brush you will have problems while going up/down with the contour of the lake.

Maybe deeper water areas are doing better atm, I honestly don't know yet. I can't tell you where to look but I can tell you where not to, LOL.

-Jim-