Lake Hartwell bank fishing?

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Tater302, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Tater302

Tater302 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Jeremy
    Hey guys new member here, Does anyone have any advice for bank fishing lake hartwell? I usually go to the boat ramp on hwy 123, I've hooked up a small flatheads using nightcrawlers but not much luck on live/cut bait or chicken liver. Unfortunately I do not own a boat so I can only bank fish. Different bait or location ideas would be a huge help. Also looking for a nice place my wife can get to, she is a double amputee and in a wheelchair but loves to fish. Just not to many places she can get to comfortably. Thanks in advance for any kind of information.

2. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Welcome to the USCA forum Jeremy. Hopefully there are some fishermen from your area on here that can provide you with some information.

tight lines

Tater302 likes this.

3. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    Welcome to the board jeremy,

Lake Hartwell is huge and there are lots of spots to bank fish. Now i havent actually bank fished alot. So you may need to scout them out to check about wheelchair access.

There are fishing piers at Bruce creek fishing park.
    I think they have one at Tugaloo state park.
    There is one below hartwell dam.

The ground is pretty flat at spring branch and Holcombs access. Both have grassy areas that yall could probably use.

On 123,
    There were a couple of very large flatheads caught in the area last year. Pull up Navionics chart viewer. Find 123 area on the maps. You will see the river channel comes right up to the bank in one stretch. Live and cut bream might catch you a bigger flat there.

twaskom likes this.
  4. Tater302

Tater302 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Jeremy
    Great information, thank you very much.

twaskom likes this.
  5. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    Another thought on bait.

We catch lots of fish on cut Blueback herring. Mikes miners is located in S.C. Its is not very far from 123 boat ramp. You could go over and get a dozen for 5$. You can put them on ice and they will last for a few hours before they start going bad.

You could call the Lake Hartwell visitor center. Its located at the dam. They might have a list of handicap accessible areas.

There are two other Forums you might check out too:
    Fishing lake Hartwell
    Georgia outdoor news