Lake Hartwell 09 - With some luck we will be catching fish ( Striper and Catfish )

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JimmyJonny, Jan 14, 2009.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Since it's a new year and Hartwell is gonna be opening I decided to restart a Hartwell thread . Bambu , CJim , and I had one going for 2008 but I aint about to go searchin for it ; )

With some luck we will be catching fish ( Striper and Cats ) and this thread won't get buried. Feel free to jump on in any time you please or just stop by now and then to take a peak .

-Jim-

2. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    I've been out to 12-mile a few times and the little ones are still biting good. Caught 13 one night and then 10 more a few days later . All fish were small , no flats just blues and channels .

Bait was G-Wood perch ( almost out of them ..hint,,hint, LOL ) , crawlers and frozen bluebacks ( and ya, cause that's all I got , LOL ). In the end all fish were caught on 1/0 circles with the frozen bluebacks. The rig I used was , starting at the bottom: A slinky weight, 3 - 1/0 circles spaced a foot apart, barrel swivel , then a bobber . I dunno what you call it but its what I use still fishing for cats this size. Its one way I suspend my baits and hold it in place. I cut the herring into 3 parts and it worked well. I havent had any hits on any big baits and the fish are currently hitting after day break , very few fish during dark hours lately.

Its a good time to take a kid fishing out there if ya have kids.....mine love it out there.

Since there is a few newer folks that are local if ya ever see me , stop on by ....I drive a old green Jeep Cherokee. The only thing is please don't walk upon me , just yell first. I own 2 Pitbulls and usually one of them is with me while I'm bank fishing and you will not be able to get near me . They are great dogs, doin their job, but until they see that I see you they will guard. Sorry if this sounds crazy , and I'm not trying to sound like a smart arse but I've had people sneak up on me out of the blue , and they even saw the dogs. No one has ever got bit and I would like to keep it that way ; )~

http://usera.ImageCave.com/JimmyJonny/100_3198.jpg

http://usera.ImageCave.com/JimmyJonny/100_3212.jpg

-Jim-

3. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    here;s a couple of pics from last year:roll_eyes:(i know its a 2009 thread but the walleye's cool) i actually caught the walleye on another persons rod:smile2:, he had walked about 400 yards away to a point. not a big fish maybe 2 pounds, but its the only one ive caught and it came out of hartwell(and went back into it). i was fishing in 26 mile creek, ive been told most of them in hartwell are in the tugaloo, i guess he was a little lost:eek:oooh:.

Attached Files:

4. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    i went a couple days ago for about 2.5 hours(5:30-8am) got a couple of blues. i didnt weightem but id say about 8# and 10#. the first one hit and as i was landing him the second hit. i was bank fishing with my rods about 35ft apart. i didnt realize the second fish was on till i went to check the other rod and couldnt find my float(it was still dark), i slowly realed in till i could see my float about 3ft from the bank and finally the line tightened and i felt a little tug. set the hook and brought him in the last 3-4ft:smile2:, he had hit it and ran to the shoreline so it was a short fight but still a decent fish.(i should've put something in the pic with them for perspective, but you get a good idea what the bank looks like on hartwell:crazy:)

has to put my new pb striper pic on here also because it was the first fish of 2009:smile2:, hopefully its a sign of a good year coming.

Attached Files:

5. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    dont know personally but ive heard its pretty good, pop pop and someothers fish greenwood alot im sure they could tell you more.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey bambu, not trying to be a jerk or anything but that fish in the pics you called a walleye is actually a northern pike. just thought i would let you know. i miss fishing in hartwell, greenwood, santee, and fishing the saluda river up by pickens. i have been out of that area for almost 10 years. being in the military will do that too you. i actually did get back last summer and fished with my buddy at the williamston watershed. caught some bass but didnt get a chance for any cats. good luck to you guys out there. hopefully the water comes back up to where it should be.

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Pop Pop & I caught just a few perch last week, as we were mostly trying for them little kitties :smile2: Fact is, not many fish were biting that day.

8. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    You can catch good numbers working the channel edges and humps.

9. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Bambu,what did the striper weigh?Did you catch him on live or cut bait? Nice fish man,thanks for sharing..

10. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    no offense taken:smile2:, i havent caught either before so there both new to me. that is interesting though ive never even heard of those being in hartwell.

11. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    thanks he was right at 20#, and was caught on live herring on a freeline in about 15-20ft of water, near 18 mile creek.

12. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    not trying to be a jerk:wink: but the fish is actually a chain pickeral, i was informed by jim last night. you can tell by the dark line below the eye, might be hard to see on the pic on here but on my computer you can see it easily, also the pattern runs horizontaly instead of verticaly. guess we both learned something:smile2:

13. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Hey Bambu,I remember several years ago at the first big NSBA end of year tournament it was at clarks hil or hartwell,the guy that won caught a big striper,in the forty pound class,he had it mounted and when the taxidermist cleaned it,she had a big pickerel in her,the guys name was John Sawyer I think.he said it was a red fin pickerel I think.Anyway,it was some kind of pickerel and a big striper had eaten it.I can remember as a kid at my grandfathers,he had a spring,and in what we called the spring branch,which was a small creek that was very clear,we would see some about a foot long,grandpa called em pike.I know they sure was fast.Never did see one out of the water though.

14. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I also assure you it is a Chain Pickeral. There use to be Walleye in Hartwell, but no longer.No northern Pike either, little far south for those fellas.We also call them Jack fish, make pretty good cut bait too.:smile2:

15. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I also assure you it is a Chain Pickeral. There use to be Walleye in Hartwell, but no longer.No northern Pike either, little far south for those fellas.We also call them Jack fish, make pretty good cut bait too.:smile2:

16. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    went yesterday with jim out of coneross campground. had a slow day managed one striper about 6# and a dink also got a couple of big white perch. tried another spot today by myself, had a better day. got a 14#,12#, and 6# all striper, pics are coming soon.:smile2:

17. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    here's the pics:smile2:

Attached Files:

18. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
  19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the catches...rollo

20. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    I haven't checked 12-mile park again but I will this week.

Jimmy, I go by there every day to and from clemson-sorry to say, they are still CLOSED. They need to hurry up and do something.:confused2: