Lake Harney - Finally got a couple

Discussion in 'FLORIDA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Phantom309, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Well, they weren't very big, 14" and 10", but was good getting out on the fresh water again. Have been doing salt water for a few months, decided to try for some cats this morning up on lake Harney (half way between Mims and Sanford on the St. Johns river).
    Had liver, gizzards, and dead shrimp. Seemed like nobody wanted the liver and gizzards, but they went for the shrimp.
    Lost quit a few, I figure cause I was using 5/0 hooks and they have been sitting on my rods for awhile (use em for redfish).
    So, am thinking about going to a 3/0 circle hook for fresh water cats, see if that'll improve my catch ratio, hate it when I set the hook, have him on, then, he gets off !
    Sorry no pics, was all by myself. Have had it in my mind to rig up a camera mount so I can do pics by myself, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I hate to take a fish picture where they are laying on the floor, etc, etc.
    Have a nice day,
    Danny

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Danny if I'm fishing in a place that has lots of bullheads & eatter sized Chann cats. If using circle hooks I use 2/0 they work great. If I'm fishing in places where I know there is more chann cats in 7-15# range if I'm using Circle hooks I use 4/0. If I'm using Circle hooks and know a place has larger chann cats then I go up to 6/0 if need be. However I always start out with 4/0 in places like that,because I always have at least one rod rigged with 4/0 circle hook at all times.

I have landed a few in the 10# range on 1/0 circle hooks as well as bullheads that were not much larger then the hook itself.. However after using C hooks on Chann cats here for a good while I have seen much better hook up rates by coming up with this lay out for hook/fish sizes.

3. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Thanks Swampy;
    I don't really expect to catch a "Big-un" but, never know.
    Sure is hot around here, am already dreaming of fall fishing.
    Goin down to Wally World in a bit and pick up those circle hooks.
    Yeah, I've caught some nice size cats while crappie fishing with those little gold Aberdeen hooks. Will try the 2/0's for sure.
    I'll bet I lost 6-7 yesterday from getting off/missed set, was frustrating, then, they finally quit biting. I moved to several other areas but no more bites.
    OK, Have a nice day,
    Tight Lines,
    Danny

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I noticed that you mentioned "setting the hook" and missing fish in both of your posts. Maybe you are having the same problem I did when first switching to circle hooks. I had a hard time learning to not "set the hook". I always wanted to yank back on that rod when I felt the bite. Finally I had to put the rod in a rod holder and wait till the fish was fighing the rod by itself, then pick up the rod and start cranking. At last I convinced myself that the hook set was done by the fish and the design of the circle hook and did not need my help at all. Having a much better hook-up to bite ratio now..

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Jerry I started to mention that,but then I re-read Danny's post and seen he was using 5/0 hooks. I thought he was using 5/0 J hooks from reading the post,but I may be wrong.

Danny as Jerry stated if you are usng Circe hooks DO NOT SET ThE HOOK! The fish will set the hook by them selfs when they tighten up the line and load the rod.

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Danny this heat is un-real,I can't wait for it to cool down a bit. I have been having to work as much as I can at night because it's just to hot in the day time. I own a plant farm and it get's to HOT out in the fields in the day to even think about trying to work out there. I was gonna hit the water the other day but didn't go due to the heat. I knew it was just to hot to catch many cats so I stayed home in the AC all day.

7. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Swampy/Jerry;
    Yeah, I've always used "J" hooks and always "set" the hook. Tried some circles awhile back and it's darn hard not to let that "set" impulse get ya, as a matter of fact, I just said "Circle hookin ain't fishin", but, think I can be talked into it after losing so many cats yesterday (5-6).
    Fishing for redfish we let the fish take the bait and run with it (bail open) for a few seconds, then get ready, then set the hook, generally catching them no problem.
    The other day I was opening the bail and letting the cats do the same thing, but when I'd set the hook, either got him for a second or two and he'd get off (probably due to old dull hooks), or just missed him altogether.
    And, I generally pick up a couple cats each year while crappie fishing with minnows (everybody says "use the jigs ! ).
    Haven't really "targeted" cats but on a couple occasions, and that was "setting" the hook. So, am finding myself desiring to do a bit more catfishing, and finding perhaps I need a different technique.
    Swampy, got those 2/0 hooks this morning, yep they look like they'll do the job. Will find out next weekend.
    Tx's guys,
    Danny

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Danny those 2/0 Circle hooks work great with chicken liver. If you us a bait like cut bait or live baits make sure not to close the gap in the hook. In other words make sure the hook has los of free/open space between the shank and point. Those circle hooks need enough room in the gap so they can turn into the jaw of the fish for good hook set. When I use cut bait with circle hooks I hook the bait once making sure the point of the hook is free & clear of the bait.

Good Luck Bro.

9. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Got a friend of mine that tells me he wraps sewing thread around his chicken liver to keep it on the hook better. I tried one Sat and it came back up all thread and no liver Ha !
    I was wondering about putting shrimp on. Generally I thread the shrimp from tail to head (come out throat etc ), am thinking with circle hooks perhaps it would be better to just hook em through the side .
    What ya'll think ??

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

If I use livers I just glob them on and cast them lite. Let out enough line to where it is about half as long as your rod. Cast it by kind of swinging it outwards litely NOT over your sholder. After you get it down you wil be able to cast liver a country mile and hit a target. The thing with liver is if you whip the rod hard the force of the cast will cause the hook to rip the liver causing it to fly off or come off with a small hit by a fish. It takes some time and a few buckets of livers but once you get it down it's worth it.

With shrimp on a circle hook you can thread them like you would on any other hook. However you will want to thread them up the shank until the shank starts to turn and let the tail hang down the shank. This way the gap is open & the point is clear for good hook set.

11. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Hey Phantom ,Have you fished Puzzle lake .I have had good luck at the mouth of the econ and in the deep holes .I use grass shrimp along with my reg shrimp it helps .
    You might try part way drying your liver in the sun or salting it all works .
    Most of the time I don't have to cast 10 feet in the puzzle.
    good luck MULE

12. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Tx's Swampy;
    Will try that, etc.
    (See PM)
    ------------------
    Haven't tried Puzzle lake Mule,
    Have been up Econ, just looking around.
    Tx's, might venture up that way again and be serious, etc.

13. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I always carry my fly rod to puzzle lake .After I put out a couple of lines I fly fish . I will spend more time walking than boating when the water is right.
    CRMULE

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Danny your welcome. Any time I can help with info on set ups/rigs baits or whatever let me know.

Tony

15. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Tx's guys !
    Tight lines !
    Danny