Lake Hamilton Flood Gates

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Apr 4, 2008.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    [SIZE=+1]We had a gully washer here last night, but luckily, no storms. This morning the lake looked like it was up about 6 inches. That is very uncommon for Lake Hamilton, for this is a constant level lake. Entergy power company maintains the level within a few inches all except for four months in the winter. They lower it 3 ft for people to work on lake walls and kill aquatic growth in the shallow water. The lake just above us, Lake Ouachita, maintained by [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]US Corps, [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]it's much larger than this lake. One inch of water from it would raise the level in Hamilton twelve inches. This morning we drove over below the dam to see the flood gates. They had 6 of the 10 open. Quite a show. The flow from Hamilton empties into Lake Catherine, it's also maintained by [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Entergy. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]It looked to be up several feet.

I have some pictures and a couple video here for anyone interested. The pictures can be viewed as a slide show or manual.

Last night in the worse part of the storm the bass boats were still zipping by. :crazy:

[/SIZE]

2. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    whoa!!! Thats a massive amount of water! I heard on the radio that a tornado had come thru and there was slight damage to the Little Rock Airport, thought about you. Glad you only received a gully washer.

Thanks for sharing and that you safe.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for sharing those Dayton. Y'all take care out there.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    interesting stuff thank you for sharing this with us

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    It was about 60 miles from here where the tornado's started hitting. Lots of damage and I believe one person lost their life.

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Those pictures are amazing. I like the ones of the picnic table under water! And that video; talk about powerful!! Nothing like the power of water. Thanks Dayton for sharing all that. Glad y'all didn't get any of the bad stuff.

7. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I bet that has the Ouachita river shore nuf a rolling. Thoses are some real good pictures. Thanks for sharing!

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good pics Dayton, thanks

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Great pictures Dayton, thanks for posting.