Lake Greenwood

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by pop pop, Oct 26, 2008.

1. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Yesterday my buddy Bruce and I fished Greenwood before the little gathering. We invited Matt " Carolinacatjack" to fish with us and had a blast. Matt is a fun guy to be around and we had him laughing all day.:smile2: This was the first time Matt had ever drifted and was like a wide eyed smiling kid in candy store.:smile2: We ended with 22 nice ones and averaged a little more than 5 lb a channel. Used threadfins and gizzard shad for bait.

The little gathering was great! Good food and great fellowship. It lasted from about 2:30 till dark:30 The BOC has got some fine people in the Carolinas, Thats for sure. :big_smile: Can't wait to do it again!:wink:

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I wish I could have been there too Doug . Sounds like you folks had a good time ; ) I'm glad the weather didn't get ya.....Kinda close call there .

Thanks for the report

-Jim-

3. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Doug, we gave it all we had. We caught a few nice channels ourselves, nothing huge. I want to say we saw you fellas down below 221 brige. I wasn't sure so I didn't come rushing your way. It was the only boat we saw that was drifting. We were in the white Javelin. We anchored most the day and did so-so. It was the first time we've catfished Greenwood.It's a little different than most I've fished. We stayed up the lake,didn't go down far below the bridge. Next time ya'll get together, we may try to get up with the gang. We didn't mean to act rude, but we forked out a few bucks and drove an hour, so fishing was high on the list. Had fun,learned alot, and we shall be back. Keowee is our next lake on the list of things and places to go.

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    10-4 Joey! That was us.:wink: Same thing here, we thought that might be ya'll, but just wasn't sure. Glad ya got to catch some channels and enjoyed the day.

5. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on the catch! Would have been great to be there.

6. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Dang skippy, I had a blast!!! Bruce and Doug are both great fisherman and great guys to be around. I learned a lot, and Doug, you're right.....Y'all created a drifting MONSTER.....I'm ready to go again. Maybe this time, the Anderson boys won't have their noses in the air....j/k guys. Yeah, we saw y'all over there, hopin' y'all were catching too.

We all had a good time. I'd met a couple of guys before, but I had a great time talking to everybody else. Bruce, you old fart.....You did a good job on the cookin'. I say we vote him head-chef for the next shindig too. Brad, Mike, Wayne, Karen, Chris, Scott, Bruce, Doug, I appreciate y'all. I couldn't ask to know a nicer bunch of folks. Wish some more could have showed, but that's OK.....There was more food for us that way. :wink: Let's start planning for another big one in the springtime. What do y'all think about that?

Oh, and Bruce.....my thumbs are fine. Remember, chicks dig scars....

7. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I'm game! I also want to learn this drift fishing. I've done what WE called drift catting in AR on the AR river, but I wanna know if it's the same.

We went up river in a long stretch of straight river, casted out, and bottom fished while the current carried us down. We never once got to the bottom of the straight stretch without bites, unless a barge was coming, and then we IMMEDIATELY got out of the way. We would see them coming and move WAY before they got to us. didn't want them having to slow down, cause those things take a WHILE to get back up to speed going up river. Amazingly, the current kept us sideways the whole time in the bass boat we were in. With the flatbottoms, we had to use the trolling motor to stay sideways... I never understood that part...

Is this what is considered drift fishing here?

I'd love to go. looks like I'm not gonna be able to get this tooth pulled until it goes abcessed again, and goes into my blood stream... Noone wants to pull it cause we don't have money... So I'm ready to go WHENEVER! lol Will bring the anbesol and the pain meds! If I pass out, just kick me a couple times and make me get the net! The biguns are more important than my sleep... ROFL

8. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    No big-foot sightings ???

Hartwell only has aliens.

9. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Drifting:

4 or 6 rods out the back around 100' staggered. Troll around 1/2mph , using a front trolling motor and or the wind. Drift socks are also used to slow the boat down and or to help it stay straight. Rigs are drug along the bottom, most us a bobber to keep the bait off the very bottom and it reduces hang ups.

Most use cut bait.

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Or Specially prepared SCRIMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Yeah, I heard all about your scrimps....

12. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    * ....just sits back and laughs ; ) *

Pat, I didn't lick da herring...your on your own bud ........

13. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Pop Pop you had to go and make me drift. Me and Mike hit up a few areas and caught only 4 cats, but al of them 6 + pounds (3 channels 1 flatty) We did however catch 8 hugh crappies wile tryin to catch some shad and some hugh brim as well

14. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Oh yeah, you'll find some big crappies on Greenwood. Next to Clark Hill, it's the best crappie fishery around here, IMO.

15. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Glad ya got out and caught some fish:wink:. Any day fishing is a great day! Congrats.:big_smile:

16. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I know....It's about time he started catching fish. LOL!!!!! Got anything else to say about those channels? You know...your "bait?"