Lake Greenwood Trophy Channel Cat fishery. Opinions please

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Aug 22, 2007.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    For the more educated people on this bill proposeing thing.What would it take to propose a bill like this? Somethin like all channel cats over 21 or so inches goes back.

I know most people dont care much about the channel cat because it dont obtain the size of blues and flatheads.I'll tell you this though a 10+ lb channel fights like no other.The species is slowly dieing away (trophy size anyway) and it should be protected at least in some waters.

We have plenty of big blue and flathead lakes so why cant we have a trophy channel cat lake? If they can manage to grow 30+ lb channel cats in the Red River way up in Canada then you would think it could be done here.

I fish alot of lakes in SC and the reason I pick Lake Greenwood is because its the only one that I have fished that you can consistantly catch 10 to 15 lb channels.Theres a population of blues startin to show up and I would like to see blues there but I dont want it to cause the channel cat size to dwindle down to 2 to 4 lb fish.I think that some kind of management could prevent this.

I know not many people fish Greenwood but if nothin else lets try to at least protect the last chance of a trophy channel cat fishery we have.

I'm just a dumb ol catfisherman but with a little bit of help from everybody I might could get somethin goin.Input please.

2. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Wish you the best. Maybe with all the attention going to catfish here in the past few years you may have a better chance than you think.

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Chris you are right, a 10-15 pound channel is a monster. They are the strongest catfish pound for pound in my opinion. I really don't know what to say about the management part of it. Blue cats generally will take over a lake. On Wylie a trophy channel is 10 pounds. My best ever is 10.5 and I have caught hundreds of them. The largest channel I have caught is 12.5 and got him in Wateree. Catching a channel that size consistently is great, I hope it continues to flourish. The average here at Wylie is around 5 pounds, lots of 6-7 pounders which are a handful on an Ugly stick. I get a 9-10 pound fish maybe twice a year here. On the other hand, the blue cat population is growing and in another 10-15 years I think we will be catching trophy class fish pretty frequently. The forage base on Wylie is immense.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Chris, I think that Blackwaterkatz might have some ideas on how to go about this, but I would like to see Greenwood as a trophy channel lake if that could happen.

5. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    i agree with ya!! that would be great if it was state wide! 21 inch limit is a perfect size limit for channels! anything bigger than that eating wise is not very good in my opinion anyway!! but as long as there are other species in these great lakes,such as the great striper debate and the money making largemouth bass tourneys! we catmen will be on the back burner for a long time!! it's already been that way for years and years!! you know how it is for me here on Murray!! i have them all to myself, especially at night!! let me know if theres anything at all i can do to help!! i know a couple of guys that come to the marina that work in the state house downtown!!

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think that is a great idea. :big_smile:

Good luck and tell me how it works out for you...LOL...just kidding.

Do this, and I will do the same, as should other members of the BOC. Contact Scott Lamprecht with the SCDNR and see what the political process is for making something like that happen. If it means getting together a group of anglers and meeting with the biologists like we did in NC, then the BOC is a good place to get that started.

Scott is a good guy with a lot of knowledge and well respected by biologists in other states. He took the time to come to a Carolina Catfish Club meeting earlier this year and the members found him infomrative.

All of these things have a process and procedure to their method and madness. Suprisingly to most folks the SCDNR biologists are not out to get catfish. These folks are there to manage the fisheries, and if creating a trophy channel cat lake fits into that, then they will do what they can.

Here is the contact info for Scott:
    Scott Lamprecht
    Freshwater Fisheries Region IV Coordinator
    SCDNR
    305 Black Oak Road
    Bonneau, SC 29431
    843 825-3387

Scott can be reached via e-mail at: LamprechtS@dnr.sc.gov

7. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Great idea Chris. It might take some doing but a size limit got put on blues in Santee Cooper so I don't see why they cant do the same thing for channels on Greenwood. I know it will take all of us to stick together on this to get it done.

8. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    well you know i'm all for it...it would be a loooooong hard time consuming road but if it worked itself out it would certainly be a life long accomplishment to be enjoyed by many fisherman...by far greenwood is my favorite lake to fish for many reasons and i for one can not go to any other lake and catch channels like i do at greenwood...it's got the forage base to supply a trophy regulation so why not...i know there's alot more to it then that but trophy lakes bring cash flow into local communities...just look at santee...people travel from all over the country to fish that place because there's a good chance of landing a 40, 50, or 60 lb fish (does not matter what type of catfish as long as it's big and mean) and they spend there money while they are there...offer those same people a chance to land a 10 or 15 lb fish and they will probably not care much about that..i don't think the channel will ever be sought after like blues and flatheads because most people just don't get that a 10 to 15 lb channel is a freakin huge fish and for a lot of people a once in a life time thing...but to have a lake that will and can produce 10 to 15 lb channels consistantly is worth protecting and regulating...just gotta make the right people understand it's worth.

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris I havent fished greenwood in yrs and may not never. never can tell but sounds like you got a good idea. I wouldnt know how to tell you to get started but it may be a long rd. Stripers kings with all they do for the state has been trying to get russell declared as a trophy striper lake with very strict restrictions for a few yrs since it has never been stocked and the ones that are in there are left over from when it was dammed up. last I heard anything about it they still hadnt got it accomplished. you may can ask there and see if anybody know how to get the ball rolling that has been there. I know they put a stop to the bill that was gonna have boat fisherman and bank fisherman on the same rule which was 2 rods per person so I am sure somebody there know how to do it.

10. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Going to have to prove that it will not cost them money. I don't fish Greenwood but I do know that it has a good crappie and bass populations. I think it also has a good stiped bass population. If they consider and do a study they are going to want to know how it would effect rest of the lake. Would a trophy cat lake bring more or close to the money the other three pull in. Big channels eat alot and would they take away forage from the others? Would alot of big channels eat the young of the others? Do enough people fish for channels on the lake to warrent the money they would spend to do a study, enforce the new regs and educate the public of the change? Maybe someone who lives close to lake could get a survey going of local anglers who would go for it. I think this a great idea and all it takes is enough people to get behind the idea. You guys are the smart ones and you probably already have the answers to these questions. Just simple thoughts from Anderson.

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Alright this is what I have so far.This is copied and pasted from the e-mail Scott Lamp. sent.

12. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I would be willing to start the ball rolling, but need a little help. To whom (the appropriate Legislator for the Greenwood area) would I need to write to get started?

13. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I also need help with identifing the local boiologist & DNR rep to contact.

14. AgentDuder

AgentDuder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    here are the SC House members for Greenwood.

* J. Anne Parks [D]
    Mortician/Funeral Director/Licensed Real Estate Agent
    Dist. No. 12 - Greenwood & McCormick Cos.
    (H)P.O. Box 181, Greenwood, 29648Bus.(864) 229-3206Home(864) 227-6366(C)434D Blatt Bldg., Columbia, 29211Bus.(803) 734-3069Home

* Lewis E. "Gene" Pinson [R]
    Community Relations Dir.
    Dist. No. 13 - Greenwood Co.
    (H)306 Plantation Dr., Greenwood, 29649Bus.(864) 388-9433Home(864) 229-3873(C)522A Blatt Bldg., Columbia, 29211Bus.(803) 734-2821Home

Here are some for the surrounding counties.

* Michael A. Pitts [R]
    Retired Greenville Police
    Dist. No. 14 - Abbeville, Greenwood & Laurens Cos.
    (H)372 Bucks Point Rd., Laurens, 29360Bus.(864) 575-2917Home(864) 575-2917(C)327C Blatt Bldg., Columbia, 29211Bus.(803) 734-2830Home

* Jeffrey D. "Jeff" Duncan [R]
    Real Estate Broker & Auctioneer
    Dist. No. 15 - Laurens & Newberry Cos.

(H)P.O. Box 721, Clinton, 29325Bus.(864) 833-7700Home(864) 682-7701(C)327B Blatt Bldg., Columbia, 29211Bus.(803) 734-2974Home
    Hope this helps.

15. AgentDuder

AgentDuder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Here is the senator for greenwood county.

* John W. Drummond [D]
    Pres., Drummond Oil Co., Inc., Pres. Pro Tempore
    Emeritus

Dist. No. 10 - Abbeville, Greenwood & Laurens Cos.
    (H)P.O. Box 748, Greenwood, 29648Bus.(864) 223-5525Home(864) 543-2831(C)214 Gressette Bldg., Columbia, 29202Bus.(803) 212-6455Home(803) 252-0845

16. AgentDuder

AgentDuder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I grabbed the of of the DNR's web site. Dont know if it will help but here it goes.

Greenwood is in region 1
    864-654-1671

Ass. Chief of Fisheries
    Ross Self
    803-734-3808
    (Chief is unlisted)

Freshwater Fisheries Research
    Jim Bulak
    803-353-8232

Like I said hope it helps.

17. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks, Quinton - it's enough for me to get started!!

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Quinton thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Pat heres the e-mail to Gene Hayes the head biologists on Greenwood. HayesG@dnr.sc.gov I havent sent anything to him because he dont seem to be a big fan of catfish but it looks like hes gone be who we have to convince anyway.

Thanks for everybodies help and PM's. Keep em comin.

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, I think you're on the right track. I hadn't seen this thread before today for some reason. As I understand it, Greenwood is operated by Duke Power through a lease from Greenwood county or something like that, so it might be beneficial to include your county councilman in this. I know our county councilman, along with the congressional delegation, has been a tremendous amount of help getting some things accomplished around here.
    I hope everything works out well. :big_smile:

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I would see if we could schedule a meeting with them on their turf in Columbia and talk about what the possibilities are and how to go about making something happen. During the week and during business hours is always best. The second best option for them is in the evening right after work. The less work they have to do and the less they have to travel the better.

Judging from the BOC members who are interested I think we could get 6-7 members to go down and talk with them.

The guys with the SCDNR have been very receptive to requests for meetings with hunters concerning deer hunting issues in SC, so I feel the fisheries folks would be the same. The open conversation seemed to work with the guys from NC, and from there we can get their feedback and formalize a request in writing to the right person.

I would jump on this, but since I am an out of stater I will save my comments for the meeting or for the proposal.