Lake Greenwood Report 9-5-07

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by foothills, Sep 5, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    well today i had a little bit of everything...started out the day extremely frustrated because it took me nearly 2 hrs to catch my bait which was 1 gizzard shad and 2 white perch...finally i just quit trying and went after some channels with the little bit of bait i had...started driftin and within 5 to 10 minutes i had my first channel which was my new PB (for a channel cat) of 14 lbs 7 oz...(2 pics of it below...the cooler lid is exactly 20 inches long)...and during the next 4 hrs of fishing i caught a total of 11 channels...3 were in the 8 lb range give or take a few ounces either way and the rest were in the 2 to 5 lb range...while i was drifting for cats i was also drifting my perch rig and kept picking up 1 or 2 perch per drift so even my bait situation worked out...also caught and landed a gar that was about 2 foot long and my most interesting catch of the day is the third pic i posted...that one was a first for me but it put up one heck of a fight!!!...i fished in 3 to 20 foot of water and caught fish at all depths...lake temp was down to a mere 86 degrees...i needed a good day like this one:big_smile_2:

Attached Files:

2. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    That one was nice size but didn't look like it had much weight to it LOL. I once drifted up a stuffed toy animal that I think was a dog and it put up a good fight too. Good to hear you had a good trip.

3. Cat Lady

Cat Lady New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Foothills somone was trying to tell you that you needed have a seat after catching a nice channel like that. Congrats, glad u had a good day fishing.:big_smile:

4. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    That is a hog . great example of a gwd channel. nice catch.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Glad you had a great time, and fish were biting for ya.
    Thanks for the report, and were ya gone mount that trophy in third pic.:smile2:

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    That right there ladies and gentlemen is what we are tryin to protect and possibly make better.

Thats a hawg channel.

7. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    way to go ,a great day on gwd.i bet that big one put up a good fight!

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Way to go, Craig!!!! I'm not 100% certain, but I think that you may have set at least a new lake record for lawn/garden chairs :eek:oooh:

9. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Craig,
    Looks like patience paid off, My brother in law just build a house on Greenwood, He's been trying to get me there, Maybe I'll make the trip.

10. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Great catch! Even the chair was a nice one!:smile2:

11. AgentDuder

AgentDuder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on the fish and the chair. I once caught a boat anchor in the broad river. You talk about a fight.

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Did you eat the extra-large snail? Nasty boogers they are. Nice catch.

13. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yep that ole chair put up a good ole fight but it just didn't make the runs that the monster channel did...agentduder i can't imagine having to crank in a boat anchor that must have been something special:crazy:...i wondered about that snail hooked to the chair...i thought about diggin him out of his shell and puttin him on a hook...wasn't sure if a channel would take it or not so i didn't bother...but i just can not imagine hooking and landing a channel that wieghs 20 lbs or more...i don't know how you would get him in the boat...the way that the 14 lber ran and bulldogged was freaking amazing...i understand why chrisblue wants to protect these channels and i hope that he gets it done and once pepole tangle with a monster channel they will understand...just amazing.

14. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the report. I was wondering what your perch rig was......catching bait is seldom easy for me.

15. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

catchin bait is rarely easy...at least not for me...some days are easier than others but it's never a gaurentee...believe me i have put more time in than i would like to admit catchin bait...but my perch rig is nothing special...it's just a three way swivel with a 2 to 4 oz wieght hooked to it and a leader about 3 foot long with a spoon, shad dart, or spinner tipped with worm...the amount of wieght depends on how fast your trolling or drifting cause the rig is more/ less to be straight down beside the boat...move along just fast enough to give whatever lure your using some action.

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm bad to watch the fishfinder looking for schools of fish then putting some red worms in the middle of them. Sometimes I can rack up on them and other times it can take awhile.

17. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    that's the truth...if i can find a good school of perch and park right on top of them i'll just drop a worm right in the middle of them and sometimes you can load up in just minutes and other times...well not so good.