Lake Greenwood report 8-22-07

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by foothills, Aug 22, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    went out today for about 6 1/2 hrs and caught 6 channels with the biggest fish wieghing in at exactly 11 lbs...i did not get the numbers i was hoping for but the quality of fish was real good today...smallest channel was 6 lbs 8 oz and the others fell in between that range...it was sorda wierd today because out of the 2 places i fished i could only catch fish in about a 300 yard section of water...i would drift through and pick up a fish or get a hit or two and then bring all my rods in and motor back out the creek and drift back through again...did that pretty much all day...had to stay in 6 to 12 feet of water to catch fish...used cut white perch and threadfins for bait...the lake temp was 88 to 91 degrees...also the annual striper kill at greenwood seems to be under way this year...i saw a few floaters today.:sad2:

2. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice catch. Surprised the fish were that shallow. Figured they would be deeper right now especially during the day. One of these days I'm gonna get there to fish.

3. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i thought that to and tried some deeper water (as deep as 28 feet) but i did not even get a bite...another surprise was when i put the boat on the trailer around 12:45 this afternoon there were about a dozen gizzard shad at the ramp in no more than a foot of water eating algae of the rocks...i would think they would have moved a bit deeper with the rising water temps.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks for the report, Craig. I just gotta get out there, it's been sooo long I don't even know if my boat will float anymore :smile2:

5. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Speaking of shad; I've been catching them alot shallower than I thought I would have been. The deeper the water I try to catch them in, the fewer I catch. I have been catching them in 1-4 ft of water.

6. AgentDuder

AgentDuder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the report I been thinking about trying greenwood out. I too would have thought they would have been in deeper water. Thanks .

7. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

yep...the threadfins i got in my net were all the way in the back of a creek in about 3 to 4 feet and there were a lot of them working the surface...that was first thing in the morning though shortly after daylight.