Lake Greenwood Report 8-12-07

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by foothills, Aug 12, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    my wife's momma and daddy are in town for a few days and i talked her daddy into fishin with me today at greenwood for a few hours...we got to the lake at 5:30 am and caught bait and got set up to drift around 7:00 am...it only took 25 minutes to get our first fish which was an 11 lb 4 ounce flathead (pic)...it put up a great fight for my wife's daddy and he was lovin every minute of it...i was to because that was the first flathead that i have ever put on my boat...it took a while to get our second fish but it was worth the wait cause it was a 7 lb 9 ounce channel...after that the wind got up pretty good and made it hard to control my drift like i wanted to but we managed another channel about 5 lbs...we had 2 other fish on but lost them and had several other bites...they just would'nt comitt to taking the bait...we drifted cut white perch, crappie, and bream...also the lake temp jumped up 2 degrees from wednesday from 87 to 89 degrees...i think i took a virginia bass/crappie fisherman and got him thinkin about going after some cats!!!

Attached Files:

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Beutiful fish.Theres several flatheads showin up on the drift bite lately.

3. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

man bring em on!!!!!!!!...they are fightin machines...i can't imagine what a big flattie must be like.

4. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Glad to see you had a nice catch. Like Chris said, alot of flat heads are being caught on the drift lately. What are we doing, or , what are the fish doing deferent to cause this. Not having a problem with it just want to be able to repeat it. Lewis caught two drifting at Wateree on the 4th one week before the tournament.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well I was mainly referring to Lake Greenwood about how the flatheads are startin to show up in larger numbers but this is a good subject.I've been catchin flatheads driftin since I've started driftin about 13 years ago.It dont happen everytime or nothin but it happens a good bit.Useing whole bait wether it be dead or alive will increase the chances but they will eat chunks too.They eat live fish and live fish move so a bait being drifted accross the bottom is not all that unnatural so they will eat it if they are hungery.Just my opinion.

6. Cat Lady

Cat Lady New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have not done much cat fishing at Greenwood, can u give me some pointers? I have been crappie fishing a lot, but when the train comes by the spiders like to jump in the boat with me. By this time I am ready to go overboard!!!! Congrats to your dad on his nice catch. Thanks for the information.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'll give yall some one on one face to face pointers saturday.:smile2:

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    nice catch! i think whats happening is the flats are off the spawn now and the water temps have rose to the point thats the flats are very active and will remain this way until say october. in other words they on the move and starting to feed up from the spawn. if it where me i would go back to that spot and fish it right at dark or try drifting some in that area after dark. from what i have seen at santee the last 30minutes before dark is good and then the late night 11.00pm to 3.00am hours have been good for the bigger flats drifting. if you caught this flat in shallow water i would look in the deeper water around that area. mostly on the ledges. there is more than one in that area i feel sure. just wondering did the flat hit hard or lite?

9. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Way to go Craig - glad you got show your father-in-law a good time!

10. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

the flatty just pulled the rod down fairly slow...kinda looked like the rod got snagged on the bottom but the rod tip continued to bounce so i cranked down on it and felt the head shake and handed the rod to my wife's daddy...the channels on the other hand freakin layed the rods down!!

11. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

yep i'll let the pointers up to chrisblue...most everything i do to catch bigger fish i learned from him anyway...THANK YOU CHRIS!!!

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thats what i figured. i have seen them tap it like a white perch or something too and then just hold on to it. from what i have seen the blues will hit it and hold it down but the channels will lay it down and the rod will be bouncing alot compared to the blue. drifting is a very productive way to fish but i think it takes a little luck sometimes to get the big boys drifting. now is a good time though with the warm water temps. gotta love that drifting! work that area.... they is more than one.:wink: