Lake Greenwood on 12-11

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by foothills, Dec 11, 2006.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    fished greenwood today for about 6 hrs. i'm thinkin i should have started earlier this morrning cause all my bites came first thing and then nothin the rest of the day. i got started at 8:30 am. i caught a 7lb 6oz channel in my first hour on cut herring and had 4 other half-hearted bites from sluggish cats i reckon up till about 10:00 am. the one i brought to the boat sure was moving slow...just kinda rolled on the way in...did not put up much of a fight. i got a "bonus" fish in the afternoon...landed a 2lb large mouth on a whole herring...that thing did not fight at all and had very little color to it. i guess it could have been worse out there.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    You must have got a lazy one, I figured you would have a time with em with the lighter equipment.I think it can be just a little different temp change and it changes the way they fight sometimes.The wind wouldnt movin you to fast?

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Craig, looks like I had a little better luck. I got there around 1pm, and tried for about 1 1/2 hours to catch some bait with no luck ( I did get a 5" largemouth). I brought along some shrimp as my back-up bait, so I gave that a try and: 1#, 4#, 9# channels, AND an 11# BLUE!!! This was my best day catfishing (by myself) ever! I used the trolling technique that Chrisblue uses (adapted, of course, for my little boat). Thanks, Chris! Plus, it was a beautiful day, fished all afternoon in my t-shirt a shorts. ALl fish were CPR'ed. No photos, cause I forgot my camera :angry: But I had a great time :smile2:

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I hear ya Pat, sometimes shrimp can be real good on Greenwood.I'm glad to see some more people fish lake Greenwood for catfish.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    chris i was drifting anywhere between .3 and .7 mph. (so says my GPS) drifted all the usual spots. oh by the way...i offically named the creek that we always start fishin in "simpson creek" so from now on i will refer to it as such cause that is where i got that 7lber. pat...i'm glad for ya brother...was a great day to be on the water!!! nice stringer of fish you caught...especially with that blue tacked on to it !!

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Cool, I always wanted a creek named after me.:lol:

7. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    If all goes right, I hope to get back out to Greenwood on Thursday. Hope to get there a little earlier, and will skip the bait-hunting part and get right to fishin. I caught those fish all in the same stretch of water about 100-yards long, just made a few passes over it.

8. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    pat...i was wondering if the shrimp were fresh or did you use "the frozen bait type shrimp"?? also did you peel them or just putem on the hook?? good luck thursday !!!

9. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Craig, they have been frozen, thawed & refrozen several times :roll_eyes: I just bust'em into chunks and put'em onna hooks shells and all (but without the tails - don't ask me why as I don't have any reason). They're the kind that my wife buys to use with meals, but I swipe them to use for bait!!!

10. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    glad to hear you had a good day on the water patman!

11. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    one more ?? pat...how many shrimp do you put on each hook and what size hook are you using?? (actually that is 2 questions) thanks brother.

12. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Ok: I"m using a 6/0 Matzuo Black Octopus hook, and put 2-3 pieces on, making sure that there is enough hook-gap for a good hook set. On Monday, tho, all 4 fish hooked themselves :eek:oooh: I fact, when I was fighting the 11-pounder on one rod (the boat was stopped) the 9-pounder hit another rod like a freight train & I didn't get to it for about 5 minutes. He was still there I was really surprised 'cause I let it sit for so long.