Lake Greenwood in South Carolina?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Mar 7, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Lake greenwood may wery well be one of the best channel cat lakes in SC.Went out yesterday to use the rest of the bait that I didnt use on Hartwell Sunday.Anchored in 8 feet of water up the reedy river arm and wore em out my arm was sore after those fish.Dont know how many I caught but they were from 7 to 11lbs.Blues are my favorite fish but an 11lb channel will fight about like a 20lb blue.Anyway I had a ball the bait was gizzard shad.Went out today to try it again didnt stop to buy bait thought it would be no problem to catch some in the throw net boy was I wrong.I throw the thrownet till I couldnt move my arms anymore only caught 1 small shiner so I didnt even get to catfish guess it wouldnt ment to be.But I did rescue 1 small channel from a stray jug that somebody didnt pick up he said thanks when I threw him back.

2. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    where do you buy gizzard shad at??? very hard to get here around Murray!!!

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I bought those at the Bait Shop in Anderson when I was at hartwell Sunday its really called the bait shop.I normally catch em in lake greenwood but they wasnt there today.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well I've fished Greenwood for at least 20 years and I can't catch more than 10 cats in a trip and none over 10 lbs.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Go up in the reedy or the saluda the water is about 58 to 60 degrees and thats where there at right now.As far as size I've never caught one over 12 lbs but theres some caught on jugs every year that push 20lbs.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I may give it a shoot soon.

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Tried Greenwood today, around and above the train trestle near hwy 221. Didn't mark many fish or get any hits from any cats, but while trying to catch some crappie caught a fish that looked like a cross between a bass and a big perch, 'bout a pound. Never seen one before & released it. Water was in the mid 50's, wind off & on all day.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Greenwood is loaded with white bass, stripe bass and whit perch. If it had any stripes at all it wasn't a white perch. I'm working up a trip with my fishing partner for some Greenwood crappie pretty soon.

Pat glad to see you have a picture up.

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Pat I hate you didnt catch any dont give up on Greenwood the cold wheather has messed everything up.After this coming week with the warm weather it should turn them back on.Next time go a little farther up the river arms you can drift in very shallow water up there because its so muddy.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Pat, you probably landed a hybrid bass; a cross between a striper and a white bass. The stripes are broken and not continuous. They have similarities to both stripers and white bass, a little deeper through the midsection maybe than stripers. They are fairly common in most lakes in SC, I think.

11. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Tommy, is there a publication that you're aware of that shows pictures of the inland fish of SC?

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    The DNR has a poster for $7 on a link off there site. Its a full color and looks like actual picture from what I could tell. I'm going to order one in the next few weeks.

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
  14. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks for those links, Tommy! Based on the general fish ID link, what I caught was a white perch. If id'a known that, I would have used it for cut bait (can you eat those white perch too?). In regards getting a fish in my avatar - I may end up having to do some cut & paste with some fish photos!? :confused:

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, Pat, those white perch eat real good, if you catch them a nice size. I used to catch them about this time of the year on bottom with earthworms. We'd take the kids to a sandbar on the river and spend the day, cooking some of what we caught. I was raised up calling them 'Virginia Perch', as the old-timers called them. The would run up the river to spawn every spring. Nowadays, I just catch what I need for bait in the lakes. They don't seem to be in the rivers too much except in the spring, though.

16. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    One of my fishing buddies caught a channel cat at the mouth of the saluda coming into lake greenwood yesterday that was just over 20lbs he's caught blues and flats up to 40 plus lbs but he said the 20lb channel was one of the best fights he ever had.

17. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm shooting for a trip Monday around Goat Island for some crappie but I'll have a cat rod with me.

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The crappie has been a little slow lately but I caught a few decent channels near goat island last week.Look for 10 to 20 foot.Also I forgot to post this but another one of my fishing buddies caught a 37lb flathead over a brush pile around goat island with a 1/4 ounce jigging spoon 3 weeks ago.This guy never fishes for catfish and he catches 3 or 4 nice flatheads a year jigging spoons.

19. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Anybody doin the tournament on Lake Greenwood this saturday.

20. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    We placed 2nd in the tourament 5 channels 33lbs tough fishing.First place had 40lbs with a 27lb flathead.Lot of fun after the tournament and the polygraph test we got to see one big guy whip 3 other guys over a girl while they were holding up the boat ramp.Quite an interesting day.