Lake Greenwood Double-Header

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Patmansc, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Pop Pop & I returned to our favorite lake Monday morning, armed with our lucky shrimp and an assortment of Snoopy & Barbie trolling rods, for a 2-day cat-smacking safari. The morning was cool & overcast, water temp around 76 degrees, and between 9:45 and 2 we managed to lay the smack-down on 17 chunky Greenwood channels. We returned to our campsite for a delicious lunch of grilled Patburgers & tater salad, then hit the water about 5 for three more hours. We were able to land only 6 more for the evening, for a day’s total of 23. Back to the campsite for some grilled rib-eyes, and we closed the evening swapping stories & other assorted prevarications :smile2:

Tuesday morning the weather had taken a little turn, with the wind whipping whitecaps and gusting quite strongly. Maintaining anything close to a consistent drift-line was ‘bout impossible, and even with 2 drift socks deployed my little 16-footer looked like we were steadily executing evasive tactics, getting tossed this way and that, hither & yon, to and fro. Regardless, we were able to boat another 23 of those lovely Greenwood whiskerfish by 3pm, for a 2-day total of 46. We didn’t get any monsters, but the average was about 5-pounds with the largest being about 8.

Unfortunately, Pop Pop broke one of his Snoopy rods while trying to break free from a snag on the bottom :sad2: and I lost one of my favorite hats in the wind, but over all we had a most enjoyable experience.

2. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Question for ya. Is greenwood down as much as it looks or has this dock been abandoned? Karen and I went down to hwy 95 (ridge rd) to the "lake access" dock on the map of lake greenwood up by where it turns into turkey creek. This is only a very short trip (took 10 minutes) from our house, so we figured this would be our landing spot if we ever get our kayak... We get there, and low and behold, the water is 150' from the boat ramp! Not only that, there are two islands out where on the map should be nothing but open water!

That's ramp access is nothing but a swamp now. If the lake is down, how are you two even getting in the lake? We haven't been to any of the other access points, as our gas was low that day. Has that part of the lake been abandoned? We really have no clue. :smile2:

Forgot the grats on the trip! LOL

3. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Wayne, I'm not familiar with that part of the lake, so unfortunately I can't answer your question. We launched from the state park main ramp as the ramp at campground 2 is closed. We had been launching from Reeder's off of 221, but the last time I was there my trailer fell into a hole but I was able to get it out with no problems. The lake is definitely down, though, how far I"m not sure.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Gee Pat you must have a blister on your tongue from lickin that many shrimps , LOL.

Sounds like you guys ate good and tore them up fer sure. Pm me some pics if ya got any. Ya know it's creeping up to a year since we all fish together, not good, LOL. Sooner or later things will get better around here and we can go have some fun. Thanks for the report guys and I'm glad to hear yas had a great time .

-Jim-

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Jim, It has been way to long. I should have another boat soon that can accommodate the 3 of us and you are more than welcome to fish any time.:wink: You can help Pat lick them scrimps:smile2:.

6. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Here's some pic's...........

Attached Files:

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ah, cool Pat..thanks.

8. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on the fish. Thanks for the pics too.

9. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I just wanted to let everyone know that every Catfish was released but 1. A four lber looked good for a fryed fish sandwich so we couldn't help our self.:wink: We were just to old guys enjoying camping and catching catfish:big_smile:

10. Neal F.

Neal F. New Member

State:
    Gwd SC
    takeaction,that access is called souls harbor and it should come back up enough in the winter( if we get enough rain)I put in there around dec/jan to run up the saluda river