Lake Graham - What went wrong?

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by shadguts, Feb 25, 2007.

1. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went to Lake Graham today and noticed gulls feeding on the back of the lake. After following the birds I was able to locate a large school of shad that were on top of the water barley kicking and lots that had died and sank to the bottom. The water depth was @ 3' the surface temp was 46, the wind steady out of the west/northwest at 15-20mph. I caught some of the shad about 3" in length and baited up after 3 hours of fishing 6 rods in the shad kill area I got 0 bites not even a nibble and never saw any fish feeding. Everyone says find the baitfish and youll find the cats well not this time. I also fished some skipjack and crawlers with same results. I then moved to a deeper area adjacent to the flat and still nothing then moved deeper eventually being 27' deep and no bites . Help If You Can!

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Sometimes you will run into days like that. Just nothing seems to work the way it should. That is why we call it fishing and not catching, LOL!!!

3. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    The winter shad kill will stir up the feeding, but it is also very easy for the fish to get their fill in a very short time and to slow or quit feeding and even move to more comfortable resting areas. I have made a couple of posts under TN Lakes and Reservoirs (Chickamauga) in which I indicate that I have found the blue cats very tightly schooled. If I drift 20 feet from the school I get no hits whatsoever. If I get the drift right and hit the school, I get bites pretty much every time. I don't always see the school on my sonar, but I do see the shad and some type of structure or difference in the bottom. This is very difficult fishing until you learn some of the subtle places upon which the blues like to school up. As it gets warmer, the blues will scatter more and it becomes easier to find them.
    Don't give up, keep searching! When you find a couple of those special spots you can be sure that you'll find the fish there again next winter.
    Good luck and big fish!

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    hey chris you didnt by some chance gather up a bunch of them shad to freeze did you they will be hard to come by in a week or two , be good bait when theres none to be found

5. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You know that I had to, probably got a hundred or so.

6. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went back today to see if the fish were feeding there thought the fact that the wind was calm and the sun shining might have a difference but there still were no fish only dead shad. I didnt have the boat because I had to worked today so I didn't collect any more shad. Thanks to you all that have replied I appriciate it. I am not a quiter and will keep trying until I do find them blues.

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had the same thing happen to me the other day. In a bay wind was pushing piles of shad . I was at towards the back where everything was getting pushed. Could not get a hit. Seaguls were divin all around the boat and the shad were really thick. I threw the net a couple of times and filled the cooler. I was upset I though they would all be around there ,