Lake Goerge/Lake champlain.

Discussion in 'NEW YORK LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Wanna_learn_more, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Wanna_learn_more

Wanna_learn_more New Member

State:
    NY
    Hey any info on catfishing either lakes? would like bait, techniques andd hot spots, im thinking south bay i here some good ones there for laake champ. reply please. thank you.

2. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    I have fished the southern portion of Lake Champlain and have caught alot of real big channel cats. Biggest being in the 20 lb range. Most fish were caught using chicken liver but I would expect you to have better results if you used fresh cut bait like bluegills. IMHO the southern portion of Lake Champlain has some of the best catfishing in the state of NY. I used to live near Lake George on the Sacandaga Lake. I haven't heard of any channel cats being caught in Lake George. I would bet there are some in there but just not in numbers or in size as you would get in the southern portion of Lake Champlain. I wish you good luck and let us know how you do.

3. SeaBass

SeaBass New Member

State:
    Vermont
    I live on the northern end of Lake Champlain. I also have caught many channel cats in the 20lb range but not much bigger. I use mostly chicken liver but plan on trying cut bait more. The state record channel cat in Vermont is only 34lbs but the old timers used to catch them a lot bigger than that. When fishing Lake Champlain you will catch more fish if you night fish a bay that the wind has been blowing into all day. Fish the rivers when they are high and dirty.

Just a note. I don't believe it's legal on the VT side to fish with Bluegill dead or alive and there are new restrictions on baitfish useage you should check out if you will be fishing on the VT side. I will probably have to use shad on my outings.

Good Luck!