Lake glenn shoals

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by buzz crackstock, Apr 29, 2006.

1. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    went to glenn shoals lake today for a couple hours with one of my stepsons. We caught 7 small channel cats carolina riggin cut shad. The attached pic is his first catfish. We got a little wet but had a great time. Probably would of caught more but I was goin for the "big one" with live shad and big cuts of shad and he insisted on goin after the big one with me. They were havn' a little trouble gettin the big hunks of bait in their mouths. We got hits practicly the entire time we were there. Actually ended up snagging 3 of the ones we caught. I think, and I've had this happen with 3-4 lb cats, when they are really active and they are hitting your bait they roll on it and end up hookin themselves. All the cats I have caught due to what I thought was this rolling technique have been snagged in the horn area.
    View attachment 8390

View attachment 8391

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Nathen. Glad to hear you done good. That sure is a good looking boy you have and that is a nice cat for his first. I have been planting crops and not enough time to fish yet. I will be going very soon though. We will have to get together and fish again this year. When we do maybe the rain will hold of for that nite. I sure hope we catch some rain soon for the corn crop . So far today we havent got much more than a sprinkle. Barley got the side walk wet.
    Talk to you later.
    Tim

3. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    Hey Bearcat, glad to hear from ya. We got quite a bit of rain today. Hope you got some your way. It looked like it might have missed ya but around 4:30 5 o'clock it looked pretty dark your way. If you did get some hopefully it wasn't enough to keep you out of the field. Cats have been kinda slow for me except the one day at hillsboro. I did manage to catch a 14 lb channel at lake yeager. Got a pic of it in the fishing report area. Went this afternoon and got two little bites and that was it. Got a little wet then it turned chilly and figured I better get the boys home before they caught the sniffles. Couple more weeks of warm weather and the cats should be bitin good. give me a holler if you want to get together and go for some of the big cats at hillsboro. Good luck in the fields.