Lake Gaston Report...

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by KevMan, May 30, 2009.

1. KevMan

KevMan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I had a great time there catching catfish. Inbetween 9p/m and 1 a/m of Saturday night I caught at least 30 ( no lie ), all but about 4 were keepers. Where I was was like a catfish farm!!! I did land a very nice one though. I believe in some time to come the place I was at ( near Lizard Creek ) will be a haven for some nice cats. I caught blues, flats and goldens.
    Question: Does anyone know the growth rate of catfish in a year? Yeah, I'm going back.

2. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Lake Gaston has some MONSTER blues in it. I know of 1 60lb plus blue caught by the steel bridge in april. It is without a doubt loaded with blues and under fished by serious catmen. One year it flooded bad and they opened the dam gates that flow into Gaston during spawning time and I personally saw a ton of 30 -60lb blues pulled out on a daily basis.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    It's good to see you posting again, Kevin. I was wondering where you were!

I have heard some amazing stories about catfish catching frenzy...it happens. One employee of a chicken processing plant in West Virginia told me about how he and a friend fished forty pounds of chicken livers on the Mount Storm Lake (neare Mt. Storm, WV) from 6:00 PM to midnight, continually catching catfish throughout the evening, one right after another. I don't really doubt them, knowing the lake myself. There are no limits on the lake because the fish are small.

4. KevMan

KevMan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I wanted to post a picture of the nice golden I caught but, the it's to big to upload.:sad2:

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Kevin,

Reach out on the Internet and download this: http://www.irfanview.com/.

It's totally free and is one of the most powerful, yet simplest, graphic tools out there. You can easily resize your images to be any size you want, sharpen them, etc.

It's also a small program and totally ad-free. It's somewhat like Gimp made for idiots like me (I never could figure Gimp out)! :eek:oooh:

I have IrfanView installed on every computer that I use.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Windows has its own picture editor with a resize option uder a drop down list titled modify.

7. KevMan

KevMan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was just on my profile page and those pictures from Lake Gaston posted there in my albums if anyone cares to have a look. I came away with a good one. :wink: