Lake Gaston, NC - Report for 9/24/06

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Sep 24, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Was rough as heck out there on the main lake today. But I was happy to finally get to fish again! Bait was sort of hard at first, but once Gaston Dam started running ended up with enough big Gizzard Shad to fish for a while, and some of the smaller 4-5inch shad also.

Since it was so rough on the main lake we didn't want to try to fish out there, because most likely our anchors would have just dragged bottom.

So we fished one of our creek spots and it wasn't as rough back there. Not many bites but the few bites we got seemed to be good fish, then my pole on the bottom with a 5 inch shad threaded on the hook got slammed, reel started screaming, set the hook and of course my 10/0 King Kahle took care of business for me. The fish was fighting awesome, I thought I had a 20lb Blue on, got it in the net and weighed it and my scale tells me it was 10.80lbs but I think it was a couple pounds off, the fish looked like 13-14lbs to me. The fish is a decent start for me in the Fall BOC Fish off.

If it wasn't so rough we would have stayed longer and caught some more fish, but we had to get out of there. I'll probably get to go again next Sunday.

Here is a link to the picture of the fish-

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=437197&postcount=90

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    yall hiding up in Peahill creek again catching all the fish?

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Mark, Shhhhhh........:eek:oooh:

I know it ain't a huge fish or anything, but man it felt great to finally be on the water again and catch something.:big_smile:

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    A fish is a fish and there all fun to catch congrats man!!!:big_smile:

We will be hooking up real soon to catch the big ones:tounge_out:

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I got it on one of my smaller rods and reels too, making it more fun. I think now that the water has cooled down the fish are putting up a better fight, more oxygen I guess. Water temperature was 90 degrees in the middle of the summer and we were catching some on the slip bobber rigs, but now it seems like they have mostly went back to biting on the bottom which usually is better action anyway.

Come fish with us again in about 2-3 weeks, you won't be dissapointed.:big_smile: