Lake Gaston catfishing advice wanted

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Pirate, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Pirate

Pirate New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Seeking advice for catfishing Lake Gaston. New to fishing lake.

2. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Gaston is Va and NC's best kept secret for cats in my opinion. You have the whole lake to yourself from labor day to memorial day. I have seen HUGE cats caught below the dam in spawning season when they turn the water on and fought some myself there. I think its only a few miles to the lake from the tailrace. I plan on going there myself this winter. I think if you use buggs tactics you will do well.

3. justadrifter

justadrifter New Member

State:
    nc
    i have fished the river section of the lake some its as good as kerr in my opinion theres a ramp on highway 1 a few miles up to the dam or a few miles down to the lake

4. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    anyone fish below that dam in the fall or winter? i have tried my luck a little during the summer and had mixed success. wondering if i should make a few more trips since the weather has changed. it's hard w/ the water being this low, i imagine they are not generating as much as usual.
    usually been fishing cut bait on a carolina rig. lots of snags and a few nice sized blues but haven't hit anything over 15 lbs. thanks

5. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I used to fish there late fall and winter for stripers. If they aren't generating it's a long ride for nothing. Not a good time of the year for blues. The lake is where it's at for big blues that time of the year from what I'm told, plan on taking up a offer to go.

6. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    thanks man for all the advice, saved me a long trip and lots of time sitting on slippery rocks. what is the best time of year to head up there? do you know of any good bank fishing on gaston for blues this time of year? thanks, ak

7. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Mid Nov below the dam when the water starts getting colder for stripers. I know of no place for bank fishing there on the lake. I've set in my mind to talk to a couple guys that do winter blue fishing believe me they are few and far between and a map of Gaston. I just gotta train my truck not to turn on those Buggs island launches I'm gonna drive past

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I fished the tailrace once at the upper end of Gaston. Good area, but you also have a ton of people fishing there, and everybody seems to want to cram as close to the dam as possible. Forget about a bottom rig, I got snagged almost every cast. Must be why everybody was using slip bobbers.

There are some decent spots you can bank fish. One of them is off the road/bridge down the lake a little bit. Forgot the name. People fish right off the bridge.