Lake Gaston Catfish & Striper advice wanted

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rellis, Nov 12, 2009.

1. rellis

rellis New Member

State:
    Raleigh NC
    Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for some cats on lake Gaston. I went there about 1 month ago for the first time and put in at morningstar marina (I believe eaton ferry road). Anyway I am gonna be purchasing a boat slip there so most of my fishing will probably be done around that area. I had decent luck the first night with about 20 cats ranging from 2-25 pounds. (small ones were great for my 9 year old son to reel in). The second day we fished for about an hour or so drifting thru a cove and my son caught another 25lbish blue but then the steering went out on the boat so the fishing day was over. Back to my question I was wondering what spots on the lake are worth the drive or is that whole area good for cats. I heard something about "the rock" but have no idea where that is. Wouldnt mind hitting up some stripers either. I am planning on being there over thanksgiving (if my job allows it) and taking my son for round 2 of hopefully some great fishing action. Again any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Ronnie

PS...you should have seen my sons face when he got that 25 lber in....it was more then worth the steering going out to see him after that fish was caught! and all the fish were released as Im not a real big fan of cleaning catfish :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I fished Gaston one time and caught everything but what i was looking for. I was looking for some walleye. We fished in the upper section of the lake. Right now I would look around Eaton ferry area, or just North of there. It depends where the bait gathers in the cool months.

3. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Congrats on your boy's catch. It beats catching them yourself doesen't it.:big_smile::wink:

John

4. rellis

rellis New Member

State:
    Raleigh NC
    It sure does John! Its the look on his face with a smile from ear to ear that makes a good fishing trip a perfect one.

Ronnie

5. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Lake Gaston has it's own fishing website. Just Google it. They won't allow me to post the web address here.