Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this the other day, but it got deleted for some reason? Anyways, we picked up a place at Gaston earlier this year and now that the weather has cooled down and surfing and boarding are slowing down, it’s time to focus on some cats! Last Sunday we picked up 8 ranging from 7-22lbs. Bait was cut perch, bluegill, and a bass head and bluegill heads. All caught between 20-32ft off of points, drifting at .5mph. Heading back this weekend with a cold front coming so will see how it goes. They say November and December are the best months for trophy size fish here at Gaston, so hopefully we can get into some!

Water Shorts Watercraft Boat White

Water Vertebrate Sky Boat Cloud

Water Muscle Plant Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Tree

Water Cloud Sky Boat Watercraft

Water Shorts Vertebrate Fin Boat

Water Shorts Smile Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Water Cloud Sky Boat Muscle

Water Cloud Sky Shorts Vertebrate

Water Sky Shorts Cloud Muscle

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see you are running zack royce planers, on gaston. If you run into him, he will probably like that. let us know how the next couple months work out for you.
Yep. I fished with him earlier this year and learned quite a bit:). Got another trip with him in December for cats/stripers to learn some more:). He is a real nice dude and knows Gaston cats cold.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out again this morning with my youngest son and conditions weren’t the best. 10-15mph winds out of the north and 20 degrees colder than yesterday. Water temp down to 73 now. Only managed 2, but one was a PB…went to weigh it and my scale batteries were dead. Unbelievable! Based on the ones last week and also compared to one my buddy caught in may that was 34lbs (same location), I’m guessing this was 35-40lbs. He was a tank and a lot of fun to catch. Hit cut perch on a planer board coming across some underwater points in about 22-24ft. He was released, but the small one was lunch
Water Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Lake Tree

Water Sky Boat Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Water Sky Vertebrate Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Lake

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Went out yesterday to try and find some bait and finally hit a large school…must of been thousands of them down there. Spotted bass were mixed in feeding on them as well…caught 4 of those and cleaned them up (dnr wants all spotted bass kept as they are out competing the largemouth.

I caught maybe 30-40 and ran them back to the house and into a pen at our boathouse. Went out and trolled a section near I caught the bait and managed to catch three…11.11, 11.4 and 9.3. Going to try some different places on the lake Sunday and hopefully learn some more. Fun day for sure!
Gadget Television set Font Machine Multimedia

Output device Cable television Gadget Television set Display device
Plant Jaw Fish Seafood Ingredient
Vertebrate Mesh Mammal Pet supply Grille
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Water Cloud Sky Dog Watercraft
Fish Grey Fin Road surface Ray-finned fish
Water Boat Fisherman Sky Lake
Water Cloud Vertebrate Sky Bait

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That looks like a lot of fun!
It was. Actually got tired of catching the perch:). But……

Took those perch out today with my youngest band caught 9 ranging from 6-21lbs. The 21lb is his personal best so he was pumped about it and all sorts of happy today even though they lost their football game last night at the 1 yard line with 4 seconds left:()

Depths from 11 to 31ft. Perch heads out produced filets and chunks today

Water Sky Vertebrate Lake Fisherman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts