Lake Gaston, 1/15

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JPritch, Jan 16, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Headed out to Lake Gaston Monday to do some fishing. I think a combination of inexperience with boating and the lake and an overall slow fishing day combined to get us skunked. We had about 3 dozen smaller shad, so we fished 'em whole on four poles sometimes switching to center cuts, along with two smaller poles with chicken livers for the smaller cats.

We stayed on the lower end of the lake, covering Gaston Dam to Eaton Ferry Bridge. We had a few small bites at the mouth of Pea Hill Creek, but nowhere else.

One of the problems we encountered was that we couldn't anchor down and stay put. The boat had a mushroom anchor with a not so long rope, maybe 60 ft tops. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but in some spots we kept drifting.

But it was still a blast motoring around on the lake and enjoying the scenery. Plus I got to fish instead of working. So I still came out ahead!

FYI...We rented the boat from Stonehouse Timber Lodge, it was a nice Angler 17' CC, 115hp Johnson, FF, etc...They are nice people, and if you ever need to rent a boat, I recommend them.

Thanks also to Zakk for the helpful tips, the most important of which we couldn't do, which was anchor and stay put! But we'll learn for next time!

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    JP,

Sounds like a good day. Besides, when was the last time you were able to go fishing at this time of the year without freezing?

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    JP, I'm sorry you guys had a hard time, anchoring is a problem a lot of times with the wind blowing like that, now that you described what kind of boat you were in I'm almost sure we went right past you when you were fishing the mouth of Pea Hill, we were in a Red Lund boat, 3 of us in it. We had to find new spots on the calm side of the lake, and ended up getting a ton of fish, no real big ones, my reports in the fishing report section here on the site.

We tried fishing our normal spots, but we couldn't keep anchored, we only use a Mushroom anchor by the way, but we have two of them, one off the front and one on the back, we never catch fish on Gaston lake unless we are anchored very good for some reason. Gaston is a very hard lake too, too much deep water, it has taken us tons of fishing time and effort to finally start catching a lot of Blue's and still we have trouble landing the big ones, only can seem to get a few around 40lbs every year.

4. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Zakk, can you fish Gaston with a VA license? I know you can at Buggs.

Wheelmobile07

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You can, quoted from NC Game and Fish website:

Gaston is divided between the two states and managed with a five-fish daily limit and 14-inch size minimum. Fishermen who hold fishing licenses from either state are covered because of a reciprocal license agreement between North Carolina and Virginia.

You can ignore the limit, it was talking about bass.

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Thanks Pritch I figured it was the same type of deal as with Bugg's Island.

Wheelmobile07

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, that's correct.

8. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    What's the biggest blue that has come out of Gaston, and what is the biggest that you guys have caught Zakk.

Wheelmobile07