lake ft. smith

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by boliver, May 21, 2008.

1. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    they finally opened lake ft. smith today.it has been closed since 2002. drove up there but there were so many boats there wasn't any place to park. we counted over 50 trailers and they were still coming. will try again later after the new has worn off. boliver

2. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    well i figured it would be busy but not that busy. i think i will wait til the new wears off to. thanks for the report.

3. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Slabmaster, how is Ft. Gibson? You still there.
    I bombed on Beaver last night.

4. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Wife and I drove up there today and The ramp was like a super hiway LOL. I talked to the fella that runs the marina about the Catfish, He said the biologist took some fish the other day and there were some nice blues and Flats. along with channels and other fish. I figure to give it a try when I get back from the Mississippi river here in a couple weeks. Maybe it will be thinned out by then. Looked Nice, little muddy though. I checked the mileage on it and its 15 miles by road from my house, As the crow flys Maybe 3 miles. I look at it everyday out the patio door. :smile2:

5. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    mac
    yeah i sure wish they had put the ramp back close to where the old one was. I sure don't enjoy pulling my boat up the hill and watching the gas gague.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like there should be some good fishing over that way. Good luck and keep us updated.

7. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Bolivar, from what I can see from the house, they got a bouy line across the lower end at the dam, I dont know if they will ever let us fish the deep end or not. Maybe when the new wears off. Im not to thrilled about having to go all the way around either, But thats the way it is i reckon. Yea, pullin up hill both ways:smile2: gas gone for sure, not to mention the brake pads wearin out..............at least they arent charging a ramp fee... and there are none of those Skidoos zippin around everywhere......For your info, the marina fella said the blues are hanging out at the upper end around Jacks creek if you know where thats at. He said the channels are more towards the dam. and I would look at those bluffs for the flatheads. Good luck to ya, maybe we can hook up sometime. Mac

8. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Well, we gave the lake a look over tonight did some fishing but didnt get a bite, I imagine all the folks thats been up there done sore lipped all the fish. LOL. Its deep for sure, we saw 115 ft on parts of it, we drift fished mostled in the upper end in 20-30' water. Park ranger met us as we were strapping things down to leave, he said today was the first day that the parking lot wasnt full of boat trailors, We were the last to leave the lake tonight, empty handed. LOL. Gonna go catch some perch and go back up around those bluffs and trees to see if we cant catch a flathead. later on after the new wears off a bit. By the way, This was the first time on the water for my boat since re-rebuilding it, Run out like a well oiled clock. smooth ride in a chop too. Later Mac

Attached Files:

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for the report jim. i am thinking a guy could sack up some crappie there. when and if the new wears off im gonna give it a try.

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    My son and I discussing the fish finder! LOL. another picture of the dam, the silver on the side of the mountain directly above the dam is actually my place where I live. Well thats all for now, maybe I can show an actual fish one of these days LOL. Mac

Attached Files:

11. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Yes Sir, they been wearin out those slabs from what I understand.

12. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    I had a friend bass fishing with a jig & pig caught some world class
    crappie before storm hit:roll_eyes:

13. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have noticed over my life that anytime a new lake is being put in they are almost always red hot crappie spots for a couple of years . i am sure LFS is no exception. i fish at ozark a lot and every time i drive over the mountain my mouth waters with anticipation.

14. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I fished up there wed. there wasn't many people there then but the lake sure was rough. I really didin't fish as it wasn't cat fish. didn't catch any shad. My son and grandsons were with me the son bass fished and the grandsons brem fished. I crappie fished a little but its hard to do with a bass fisher in the boat with controls of rolling motor. the grand son caught several bream on crickets. Boat dock didn't have minnows and I fished with jigs not a bite. Son didn't catch a fish either. They have that bouie line far enough away from the dam. I did mark several large fish really deep with fish finder. I was really disapointed the slips are for people with rented camp sites no one else.I'm just waiting for the river to go down. I've marked off LFS.

15. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I havent marked it off yet, heck i cant with gas prices the way they are I dont have many choices, its 30 mile round trip to this lake, about the same to Clear Creek, and even farther to Lee Creek. I like to two creeks as they give access to the Arkansas river. We fished alnight the other night at the lake with only one gar to show for it, we did catch plenty of gills for bait so I guess that counts. I need to find the shad up there. There are a couple of nice flatheads posted on the board at the marina, dont know if they were caught on rod and reel or trotline as i saw a few trotlines in the upper end. Went to lee creek the other night and didnt catch many gills so we run out of bait by 1am. I had one good run but didnt get the hook set good enough. going to clear creek then on out in the river maybe monday night. havent decided. :0a22:

Attached Files:

16. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    is the ramp open at clear creek . i figured they had it closed for the high water. I would love to fish it , i'm to big a chicken to get on the river as much as its flowing. lol.

17. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Bolivar, it was open the other day, water is up for sure. just remember where that boat dock is at or was, Im not sure its even there anymore. Heck, there was a bit of current going out to the river.