Lake Fort Gibson

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Larry Collier, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    It has been awhile since I posted anything even though I visit regularly to read about what is going on around the NE part of the state.

Over the past few weeks the lake has been up and down but generally above normal anywhere from a foot to five feet.
    When the lake edge is into the woods and brush around the shore fishing is great for just about any species your after. Our beloved catfish are best early and late on just about any bait you happen to prefer.
    For those who like to throw a few jugs (myself included) the channel edges and points seem to produce well.
    Crankbaits and inline spinners are producing sandbass well along the shores also. Soft plastics and spinnerbaits are producing black bass, also along the shore when the lake is up into the woodline and grass.
    I haven't been doing well with crappie yet but are holding in the deeper water near the usually productive brushpiles I know about. I expect them to be a little more aggresive in a few weeks.

2. Ack

Ack New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just wanted to jump in and say thanks for the Fort Gibson Lake reports. I'm moving to Fort Gibson next month, so I'm eagerly trying to learn all I can about the good spots to fish there!

3. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Howdy John: I haven't been on the lake since the last report but I hope to go next weekend. I have been told the cats are still holding just off shore in about 20ft of water in the Long Bay area. The lake is up about two feet this week so the usual patterns like the last post for other species should work. My younger brother says the crappie are scattered around the usual structure and docks but not really very active yet for some reason.

If you are moving to the town of Ft Gibson and want to put a boat on the lake the closest ramp is on the west end of the dam opposite the campground. It is kinda secluded and there is a chance of vandals messing with your vehicle though. Otherwise I would go on west to Robins Roost and launch there. It isn't that far and a lot safer.

I usually launch at Toppers (or Taylors Ferry if the lake is up) and fish anywhere between Toppers and the bridge. When your on the water look for an old beat up skeeter bass boat and a long haired old man that looks like a hermit. I would be glad to show you a few spots!!

4. Ack

Ack New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for you on the lake.