Lake Fort Gibson

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Larry Collier, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    This is the local Fish and Game report from Ranger Don Cole on 3-4-2007

Elevation normal, water 42 and clear. Largemouth bass good on plastic worms, jig and frig combo at 8 ft. off windy points and rocky ledges. White bass good on deep diving crankbaits in the mouth of tributaries of the lake and main river channel. White bass staging at mouth of creeks in preparation for spawn. Channel catfish good on cut shad and whole shad on juglines along the edge of river and creek channels at 20 ft. Crappie are spotty at 12 ft. on minnows and jigs around brush.

When he says clear, well, it's as clear as I've ever seen Gibson. The rest is pretty much spot on.

2. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I went Monday just goofing off more than fishing. The surface temp was running in the low 60's with clear skies. On Sunday when it was cloudy the surface temp was in the high 50's.

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    But did you catch any fish?

4. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I managed to snag a sandbass or two Monday but that was about it. I was mostly just goofing off that day. Today I picked up a few small crappie and a couple of stray sandies but none of them were of any size. I did throw 6 jugs baited with shad before the wind got up though. I'll check them tomorrow (Friday) and see how they did with this north wind.
    Oh yeh - I was in Long Bay area.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey there, did ya do any good with the "Skippys" today?

6. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I'm headin up river or a feeder creek for awhile. Those 2' rollers today were more than I want to do again for awhile! :crazy:
    My jugs did their job with a couple of 5 lbers and three around 2 lb. Not bad for just 6 jugs. But getting beat up and wet, not to mention a cool north wind? Not this old man! :eek:oooh:

7. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I got a late start, didn't get out until noon. When I parked above the river below L&D16, it seemed everyone had a fish on.

In two hours, I realized that there were more skipjack on my stringer than I wanted to carry up the stairs... so I called it a day.

I got home and weighed the stringer on my fish scale and found 34.7 pounds of skipjack. I counted 34 herring as I cut each one up into bait chunks and placed them in zip-lock bags for the deep freezer.

Gotta go out and do it again tomorrow! I kept records of most of the herring that I froze last year... and ran out of them by December. I hope to put away at least half again more this year.

See the pic...

8. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I got to thinking about skipjack and mullet today and decided to go below L&D 17 to give it a try. The sandbass were there and I brought some 2 pounders home and one that was pushing 3. But not a skip or herring to be found! Unlike 16 there are no stairs at 17 so ya need to be half mountain goat. I was only there about half an hour when the first sprinkles fell and I hightailed it before the rocks got slick! The sandbass were hitting almost anything white, as expected, but an inline spinner like an abu caught most of them.

This may not be politically correct but I'm gonna say it anyway and I only know one way to say it. L&D 17 is a known hangout or cruise area for homosexuals. Be careful who you smile at and say howdy to :eek:oooh:

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What time of day did you go, I just hit my three days off and am looking to rip some lips!

10. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    It was between 2 and 3 pm.
    The water isn't all that deep and covered with rip rap so bottom bouncing is out of the question. If your bait touches bottom it's a crap shoot getting it back!

Good luck - maybe I'll see ya there tomorrow.

11. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    P.S. --- the gates at 17 flow enough water for a good current and a constant boil of water next to the dam 24/7. Need tackle, bait, snacks? Walmart is about 5 or 6 miles north on US 69 at Wagoner and there is a great bait shop across SH 51 to the north of walmart. There's several of the choke and puke fast food places there also.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yea, I used to fish there all the time years ago, but didn't like getting "hit on" all the time. I'll try it again today, maybe this evening. Hope to see ya there.