Lake fontana help

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bluecatnut, Apr 6, 2006.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i will be down at fontana and i wanna do some rod fishing can u all help me with this and would skip jack work thank you yall

2. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    bluecatnut as i said the lake is very deep and clear thear is a lot of chanell cats and big flats the water is cold lots of big rocks fish the upper ends of the three major rivers becouse after 1/2mi the depth will be 100ft you have to fish the points any kind of fresh cut bate will work better fishing for walleye and smallmouth good luck

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    what kind of line and lb test since it is a clear and where could i catch shad at i was told to use like 17 lb cajin red but i don't know

4. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    you can catch bate at night just put out a light an use your net line wt 12lb low viseabilty try a jig tiped with a nightcrawler for walleye if you fish for cats the rivers are your best bet.

5. recatfish

recatfish New Member

State:
    north carolina
    roundhill is right probaly better off fishing for walleye jig tiped with night crawler has worked good for me. i use a glow jig tipped with a crawler i will be fishing the lower end of the lake between points 2 an 6 the weekend of april 21-24 so maybe i will see you there good luck

6. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    How is the fishing below the dam during TVA releases?

7. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    cold very cold however thear is some big trout down the river never cought anything else

8. BhamRoadrunner

State:
    Alabama
    Just wondering, since I'll be staying at Fontana this weekend.

Should be fun times had for all.

9. BhamRoadrunner

State:
    Alabama
    Had a great time, didn't catch anything but a few bream and two copperheads.

I shall most definitely be back either later this year or next year about this time.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I fell in 50 years ago.I see that the water temperature has not changed.The shock will stay with you.Enjoyed your threads.peewee-williams.

11. nccatfish1

nccatfish1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i'm a new member and i was curious if anybody could help me out with getting around in this website. i am from raliegh North carolina and i am looking for some good catfishing paces and some tips any help would be great and i'm glad to be part of the brotherhood. thanks wayne

12. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    going to fontana thursday for two wks im going to restore the channel cat state record i know its in the lake so keep a good lookout and wish me luck good vibes help a lot going home to the smokys.

13. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    the roundhill will try the next two wks to catch new state record channel cat record and send it back to gods country

14. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    wear em' out roundhill! don't have too much fun up in them mountains....

15. 350degree peanut oil

350degree peanut oil New Member

State:
    NC
    I used to fish Fontana a lot-I guess you'd say it's my home lake. I've done more walleye and smallmouth fishing there than catfishing, but I've caught a lot of cats over the years. There aren't any blue cats-lots of channel cats and flatheads, some of the flatheads get pretty big. I've caught a few fish over the years that were probably white catfish. Fontana is deep and cold, excellent walleye fishing, good smallmouth, largemouth, white bass, trout, crappie, bream, yellow perch, and the occasional musky. My favorite catfishing spots on Fontana are around the mouths of the Tuckaseegee and Little Tennessee Rivers, the Alarka flats area, and the Greasy Branch area.

16. carolinamudcat

carolinamudcat New Member

State:
    Raleigh NC
    Welcome! I just moved from Raleigh a month ago. I used to mainly catfish Jordan Lake. It's 20-30 min drive but for me it was worth it. Other than that I used to fish Lake Johnston by NC State, just be careful, technically the park is "closed" after sunset and bank fishing is "illegal" . never stopped me though.

17. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    report from june 3rd to 13th the record is safe largest channel cought was 7lb did catch flathead at 17lb but had a great time looking over gods country will be back at santee next wk for something a little bigger till next yr the record is safe the roundhill

18. 350degree peanut oil

State:
    NC
    Any trip to Fontana is a good one. I've never caught many big channels there, (but there's a lot of eatin' sized ones.) Caught a couple of decent flatheads, a lot of good walleye, bass, and trout over the years. What part of the lake were you fishing?

19. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    we fished the whole lake but most of the fish wer cought up the little ten and alarka a few up tucasege we cought a lot of channels and had a big fish fry had a great time we do this ever yr

20. 350degree peanut oil

State:
    NC
    Those are my favorite three places for catfishin' on the lake, too, along with the Greasy Branch area for flatheads. My uncle used to run that Alarka boat dock. Most of the time nowadays I put in up at Almond and fish the Little T/Nantahala area. Some years, I'll rent a boathouse for a week at Alarka and spend some time with the family-nothing like catching fish off the porch of your floating shack. :big_smile: