Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a good night yesterday. Caught 4 lost one. First one on hand size bluegill 10lbs at 10:20, second fish hand size bluegill 36lbs at 10:35, third one on 10” carp at 10:55 he got hung up and I lost him. Then I had 3 jugs out on the point next to me and one had a 32 pounder on and another had a 34. I think they bit around 4am best I could tell on the jugs. I’ve gotten to where I use 8/0 circle hooks for baits from perch up to 3lb carp. I use abu 7000s 150lb braid with 100lb mono leader. Where I catch them you can’t give them any ground or they will hang you up quickly. These were suspended just off bottom right under the boat in rod holders. Once the flathead go into Pre spawn and start feeding hard I was catching 10-20 fish a night in this area last year.
Here’s a pic of the 36

·
Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
2,169 Posts
Wow man, that's the best lake fishing for flatties I've heard of!

Does the body of water you're fishing have any current? I know my local reservoirs here in Indiana have zero current unless there is a flood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The flathead fishing here is excellent. I do not think there is any current, it is a smaller shallow lake. My thought on this is because there is no water being let out of the dam. I’m a scuba diver a have noticed there will be currents in certain lakes you can just slightly feel while diving but these are lakes that are at least 100’ deep and that have water being released out the dam. Max depth is around 22’ right now. This lake was dry and has only been filled up 6 or 7 years now and got to 84% at 60’ deep. But they pull water from it at a huge rate and it will probably be sucked dry with in another year or so. We had unheard of amounts of rainfall sometime back that flooded to fill it up. I believe it had been dry or at extremely low levels for 30+ years before the flood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also forgot to mention all fish were released back into the lake. Ive noticed from the hook scarring I have caught some fish multiple times in this spot.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,415 Posts
Ha! That's great. Good to see you are catching the fish multiple times. There have been some on here that have said fish dont live when released. I just laugh at their lack of knowledge and go on. CPR WORKS!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out again yesterday at 4pm. Caught 14 crappie and landed a 13lb bass on my crappie pole that had 6lb test right before dark.
When it got dark I set up on the other point across from the one I fished the other night. About 16’ deep I set up my 6 rods vertically off the boat. I missed one about 9pm, I think it was a dink. Caught a 26lber at 10:20pm, then a 10lber at 10:45, and missed one at midnight which I probably should have let have it a little longer. Then called it about 1:30am. Fish were caught on hand sized bluegill right off bottom next to a big set of standing trees and the steep Boulder ridden point. Storms were all around me but never hit. It was 70 degrees water temp was 67.
Luckily when I caught the bass someone was near me to take a pic. Then I snapped one of the 26lber in the boat as I was fishing solo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went out last night and caught one 25 pounder at 9:45pm. Water temp was 72, caught it on a 12” carp and had carp as big as 17” out. I called it quits at 11pm as the wind was getting up pretty high. I was anchored on my usual point. For what ever reason this fish fought pretty dang hard, thought it was going to be bigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts