Lake flathead catfish question

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rcbbracing, Sep 28, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay maybe an indepth question. Ive located a spot i have yet to try and was curious on some opinions. There is a cove off a bay that has little if any access without a boat. The channel runs right along side of this cove and its a big shallow flat...maybe 4ft and less of water. At the end of the flat it drops abruptly to 9ft of water. Directly in the 9ft of water there is a huge brush pile that is very clearly marked on the depth finder. My question is if i fish from the bank how close do i need to get my baits to this submerged timber. There was a bit of a disagreement between me and a few buddies on this question. I feel the flats will hang out in this cover and move up onto the shallowflat but only so far. I dont see a flat moving 200yds up onto this extremely shallow flat if he doesnt have to. From what ive discribed this timber pile is WAY out of casting distance and possibly right on the borderline of where you would place a bait with a boat even. My thoughts are as close to this timber as i can get would be better but the disagreement is that this whole shallow flat will hold just as many big flats as the submerged timber once they come out to start feeding...I know that flathead fishing isnt a science but I also know it has some technicallities that should be followed...what do you guys think?Am i way off...r they gonna feed all over this flat just like at the borders? Or am i right...do i need to get right up on the timber for this to even be a decent spot? THANKS GUYS....getting late in the year and we were hoping to find a more secluded spot since all our good spots are being hit hard with new fisherman.

2. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would get as close as possible. If a flat hides in this cover, it would make sense to be the closest easiest meal for it. of course the fish will cruise around looking for food, but the closest easiest meal would be ideal I'm sure. I'm not a good flathead fisherman for lakes, but from anything I've gathered, cover is key. Close to that cover is perfect. With the water temps cooling off, I am guessing being right on top of the cover isn't the only way to go, but I would still think that close is better than in the middle of nowhere.

Chances are these new people either saw some nice fish caught there or were told some nice fish were caught there. They also may not be new. I run into new faces every spot I fish, but many times after talking to them, they have actually fished there longer than I have.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    David I will need Lat and Long of this spot I can guarantee that I wont catch anything there :smile2:

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i would try to fish as close to the brush as possible, then work my way around it and up into the flat as the evening progressed and the fish start cruising looking for food. i would keep one rod right around the brush pile for sure, and use another to move about the flat.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It depends. If the cats are active, they will definitely cruise the shallows pinning the bait against the shoreline. If they are inactive, 5 feet from the brushpile might as well be 200 yards. If it were me I would be fishing the edge of that channel, either side. There is a population of Flatties in the lake and only so many can hold to that brush. The rest are in the channel, in a depression, or relating to other structure. I can tell you they use those channels like an interstate. Brushpile is home, channel is highway, shallow flats with bait is Denny's.

6. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Dave, sounds like some good answer's hear . i just figured after dark they would roam the shallow's looking for bait is all ? but next time i will drop a bait 2ft from that pile and run it to the bank and hope i get a hook set into a 50plus lb flattie lol :smile2: hope our spot for this weekend aint taken if so we will have to hit another spot lol:wink: show ya a different honey hole if i can still get to it lol (mud puddle ) you know the spot lol

7. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i think we need to give that spot 1 more try b4 we call it a yr