Lake Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by meangreen351, Dec 18, 2005.

1. meangreen351

meangreen351 New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Hey everyone I occasionally fish a 55 acre lake. It is fed by three small springs and tributaries at the north end. It is a manmade lake and it has a spillway at the southend. It is about 40 feet deep in front of the spillway and very shallow where the creeks feed in. I was just wondering where the catfish would be holding. I know there are catfish there, a few people have used jugs to catch them. pretty nice sized ones. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    well Meangreen, first where are You? If we know what part of the country your from that would be a start. Maybe fill in your profile info? when We know where your from We can help you a lot more!!!!!

3. meangreen351

meangreen351 New Member

State:
    *Required*
    sorry man I just signed up. will get to profile. i live in mobile, AL all the way at the bottom. Sorry!

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Meangreen, If it was me, I would try along the mouths of those feeder creeks during the heat of the day in the winter months. Fish on the drops at the end of the creek mouth. These should be your most productive spots.
    The bait I would try is what is available in the lake you are fishing in (like shad, skipjack, bluegill) cut or live(as long as it is fresh).
    Are you fishing for Channel, Blues, or Flatheads? because presentation will make a difference in some cases.

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I would agree with JW and start at the mouths of the feeder creeks if that doesn't work i'd go to the deeper water around the spillway. live or cut bait is a very good choice, but you might try a dough or dip type bait to locate what areas the fish are using. in my opinion the prepeared baits often produce fish faster, but often times they are also smaller fish. but We are trying to locate what areas the fish are using first then we can hone our presentation to catch bigger fish. Hope this helps

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Also try fishing off points and neckdowns if any on your lake. Sounds like the lake runs mainly north and south. Wind will push plankton to windy points. Shad and other baitfish feed there and the catfish will be there also.

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Also here a classic pic of a neckdown. This can be anyplace on a lake or river where basically the body of water shrinks down. Fish will be more concentrated in these places.

Attached Files: