Lake fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Tiger 22.2, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Tiger 22.2

Tiger 22.2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well as you can guess from the title, we didn't do real well. The two guys from work that I fish with most of the time decided that we needed to learn how to catch flatheads in the lake ( Wright Patman ) on trotlines. Being the the kind of guy I am ( read "stupid" ), I agreed to go. Read all we could on the internet and talked to other people who had been successful to decide where to set our lines and what technique to use in setting them. The day comes to set our lines and we're expecting the TPW is going to have to restock the lake when we get done! Problem #1-We go to catch bait which is normally easy here. 3hrs later we have enough to put out about 1/2 as many hooks as we wanted to. No problem, no sense in getting greedy. After all We'll probably catch more than we can eat the hole year anyway RIGHT! So off we go with bait in the tank and enough tackle to stock Basspro shops. We get to the first spot, a long rocky point thats 8' deep on top with a sharp drop to 24'. We set the line right along the edge of the drop and float it about two feet off the bottom. Problem #2- We start making predictions on how many fish we will catch thus setting ourselves up for disappointment! Rest of the day goes like this. Setting lines on the edge of the river channel next to ( read "hung up in") a stump flat. Setting a line along side a boat run, because we all know that big flatheads use these to travel RIGHT!? Still don't know how we figgered that out! Setting a line next to a bluff bank on the edge of a scourhole from the water intake to catch all those spawning big mommas that are nesting up there. Baby's crying gotta go.

2. Tiger 22.2

Tiger 22.2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Where was I? OH yea, so the lines are set and we go home to sharpen fillet knives, sent the wife to the store to buy more quart ziplocs and start to scrutinize just how much freezer space we'll need to freeze all the filets. 5:30 am comes and I start calling the posse to go run the lines. Problem#3-One of the guys wife got called in to work and he has to babysit. Dang now we can't keep as many 'cause we're down one license. The two of us head out to the lake an make it to the 1st line lickety split.
    3 channel cats:angry: . So we're scratchin' our heads and chalk it up to the high boat traffic by this line-Durn B@SS fisherman. Head to the next line-the one we predicted at least one 40 pounder on. 3 channel cats:angry: .
    By this time I'm looking around to see if someones throwed a banana in my boat!! We head to the next line-the one by the boat run. Had a little problem finding this one because the wind had picked up putting a pretty good chop on the water, the line only had one clear jug on the end making it hard to spot.1 small bluecat:angry: . Now I generally try to stay upbeat whilst on the water but tears were starting to well up and I could see the dissapointment in my partners face also( he's a big boy and likes to eat catfish!). Thats when it hit me:roll_eyes: . Don't know why I didn't think of it before? All them flatcats had to be over there at that scourhole a'consumating away. Why we prolly had a fish on every hook RIGHT! We take of at warp speed, well 40 miles an hour, headin' to the line of gold.
    When we get to the scourhole an oldman and his grandson were fishing off of the bank. He hollered at us and asked if that was our line on the edge of the hole. Yep we said. He tells us that he's been fishing off that bank for years and has never seen anyone set a line here! We tell him as soon as we pull all our fish off the line we'll take it up. We start running the line from the end farthest away from the man putting the boat in between him and the hooks so he can't see the monsters we're putting in the boat. Afterall there ain't no sense in scaring the grandson with fish big enough to swallow him in one bite.Problem#4-There wasn't a single fish on that line. Like I said @#@# Lake fishin'.

All in all we really had a good time even if we didn't catch the fish of our dreams.
    Tiger

3. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    great story...:lol:

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Well great post at least i felt like i was with ya on the boat lol

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yep sounds like my kind of fishing luck, all praying and no paying, thats the story of my life. well HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME. I hate it when ol Mr. Ugly Whiskers won't cooperate with my best laid plans.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO, thanks for sharing. Better luck next time on the water, sounds like my whole year.

7. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Good Post,sounds alot like one of my fishing stories!

8. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    dont feel bad theres been alot of those stories so far this year for me to

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    That is why they call it fishing instead of catching. I always wish, but I don not stake my money on it, THAT is why I DO not fish tournaments!!