lake fishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by River_monster91, Jun 15, 2009.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well ill be spending quite a bit of time at the lake this summer. usually fish around alot of cliffs and whatnot and was just kinda wandering what is the best tactic for flatheads. i know use live bait, ive caught many a flathead on limblines this year just time to get some on a rod and reel. its alot of open water in a cove beside alot of cliffs. what should i look for? any advice would be apreciated.

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    look for points , near deep water, and log jams fallen trees, near deep water,

3. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    yeah i would fish large flats and points with lots of boulders, or stumps fallen trees, ect. flatheads particularly like to come feed the shallow flats at night. good luck pal.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    what did that hog wegh mike, that looks like a 60

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree with Michael,find an area with a lot of cover.Boulders are always nice,especially during the spawn.If your already catching them on limb lines,I,d just stay in the same general area,you already know their there.I,d try some big slip floats with live bait in the same spots where your hitting them on the limblines!:wink:

6. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    i could fish em where ive been catchin em on the river, but thats about a mile walk up river with all my gear. at the lake i just drive to the water and fish.

7. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    ur right it was 60lb my pb

8. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    well there are some rocks somewhere out there but the lakes came up so much im not sure where. its pretty open water in the cove. ill be using crawdeds and perch

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    DONNIE, I WOULD TRY TO FOCUS ON POINTS OR COVE MOUTHS WITH DEBREE LOGS, AND BAIT AROUND, I WOLDENT USE CRAYFISH,FOCUS ON DEEP AREAS , BUT FISH CLOSE TO THE DROP OFFS OR JAMES, IF YOU SEE NO STRUCTER OR DEPH ID TRY TO FIND A BETTER SPOT,U GIVE IT A TRY BUT FORGET THE CRAWDADS IF YOUR AFTER BIG FLATHEADS, CRAYFISH ARE THE 6 POUNDERS FOOD, THEY SAY THAT IN THE DNR,