lake fishing - would there be catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by channelcathunter64, Jan 8, 2007.

1. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i have access to a cove off the main channel of the lake i fish, it has a rock and gravel bottom and im not sure of the depth, i always catch bluegill and ALOT of skipjack, i was wonderin if it would hold cats and when i should fish it[which season, day or night, etc.]

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'd just go, you can catch cats all the time, the best time may very a lot from place to place, But I'd go down there at sunset and throw out a few different rigs with a few different baits for a few hours and see what happens. Time on the water is the best way to know .

3. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Agree, time spent fishing it is the best way.
    Without knowing the depth and amount of water (size of cove) gonna be difficult to guess seasonaly ... possibly spring (spawn). But if it holds that amount of bait ... the cats will be in there at one point or another.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    If there is bait fish there, you should be able to find some cats. Just curious, how is it that you know the bottom compostion and not have any idea of the depth? I take it you are bank fishing. There are ways of guessing the depth based on how far out you cast and the angle of your line in relation to the water and the heigth of your rod tip from the water surface.

5. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i know the bottom is covered with gravel and rocks because when i throw jigs on bottom when im bouncing it i can feel rocks and plus people have told me that it has rocks on the bottom

6. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes if you got bait there then you got Catfish,Id use cut skipjack and live Bluegill's.I bet you will hook up.Sound's like fun!!!!

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would try hooking the bluegills or skipjack, and use those for bait.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    You can always find the depth with a slip bobber too. Id also cut up those baitfish and use them, your probably sitting on catfish heaven.

9. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    If there's skipjack there, you can bet there's smaller baitfish or fry there as well, which would generally indicate there should be several other predators workin the area.
    That would mean you have a good fishin hole!
    Experiment.

Fish in the morning with jigs, then crankbaits, try cutbait, whole minnows or spinnerbaits. try the same in the evening. Try the lures at different depths and different speeds when retrieving them.

You'll figure out some type of pattern that will catch fish and then use it at other locations.

good luck!
    robert

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Cats eat bluegills and skipjack, and where there is food, there are cats. Like previously stated, go down there around sunset and give it a try. It sounds like a good night fishing spot with the gravel bottom.

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Where theres bait, there will be hungry mouths to take advantage of.