Lake Eufaula Spillway Fishing

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Old Bill, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I thought you might like to see a couple of photos that I took below the Lake Eufaula spillway in May 2007.

I have never fished below the spillway, but it looks like fun. Lots of fish were being caught that day.

Bill

Attached Files:

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    quick, someone go give those guys on those rocks a BOC card and invite them to the site!!! The more Okies the better!

3. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I grew up on that lake Bill. We lived outside of the small town of Canadian where the Arrowhead Lodge once was. My mom would take me and my little sister every weekend we could break away and I can tell you the Eufaula Damn is the BEST fresh water fishing I have ever experienced. If its in Okie waters you can catch it there. We have caught stripers, crappie, sandies, spoonbill, but we went for the catfishing mainly. We always caught a lot of channels and blues with the occasional flathead. I went back a few summers ago and we caught some really nice stripers while catfishing. I have never caught that many catfish in the 10-15lb range in my life as we did that day. We ran out of worms and perch and started catching crawdads and frogs and tossing them out. Its a great time and I would be shocked if you dont have a blast.

4. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Looks like those fishermen are using some long rods. Were most of them throwing out that far? Looks like it was shoulder to shoulder! I want to try that sometime. Doug

5. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Nice pix. I was there. I'm the one pulling in the big blue.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the long rods help with distance,they help keep as much line out of the water as possible,and they help keep you weight and hook up off bottom when reeling in without a fish.

7. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hey Bill, how do you guys post pics on these posts?? haven't figured out how to do attachments yet

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    osageCo_flathead, it looked like most of the fish being caught while I watched were stripers and channel cats.

In the fall of 2006, my adult son had padded his kayak out and tied onto the cable that crosses the water below the dam. He was using light fishing gear and wasn't having any luck until he caught what he thinks was a huge spoonbill! For almost an hour he tried to get the fish up to his kayak, but was having no luck at all. At first he thought perhaps he had snagged a log, but then the "log" started moving up stream. Then it would return below his kayak and just lay there. Finally, the fish took off up stream and broke his line. By then my son was wore out and gave up fishing for the day!

Maybe next year I'll try my luck...but, it sure won't be sitting in a kayak!:crazy:

Bill

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  10. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    In years past, when less water was bing let out over the dam, I have seen guys with either radio controlled "boats" or "boats" controlled by fishing lines, that were used to carry a hook, line, and weight from the bank to midstream, where the line is dropped and the boat returned to the bank.

Most of the boats looked to be about 2' long, and were made from blocks of foam, with a 12 battery and a trolling motor used for power. It took two guys to do this...one controlling the fishing rod and line, and the second guy to control the boat.

From what I could see the boat controlled by the fishing line were the simplest to make, with just a second fishing rod and it's line attached to the bow of the boat. They pointed the boat slightly up stream, turned the power on and let the boat go. The "real" fishing line with the baited hook & weight was held in a small hole or depression at the rear of the boat.

When the boat reached the area where they wanted it, the guy letting out the real fishing line would pull the baited hook and weight off the rear of the boat where it would drop into the water. The guy holding the fishing rod whose line was attached to the front of the boat would start reeling in his line. This would cause the nose of the boat to point towards the bank. It looked like it was easy to get the boat to return where they wanted it.

Perhaps someone who has actual experience with one of the boats can point out my errors and give more information??:wink:

Bill

Bill

11. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Har de Har har!

OK, Bill, I do seem to remember you now! You were that tall handsome guy that had the young, great looking, tanned, orange bikini clad, blond woman hanging all over him!:eek:oooh:

I remember thinking that it was amazing that you could catch fish...or would would even want to catch fish...with that type of distraction!:smile2:

Bill

12. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City

Oh yes Bill! Now I remember you. You were the tall handsome guy who had the great looking, orange bikini clad, young woman hanging all over him!:eek:oooh:

I couldn't help from thinking how in the world were you catching fish...or even wanting to catch fish...with such a lovely distraction!:big_smile::big_smile:

Bill

13. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Sorry about the duplication! My computer has a mind of it's own!!

Bill

14. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks tony, i'm gonna start giving and show up to date reports once i figure that out, and for the long distance casting there's a page on here, with kiting, ballooning, and rcing, that'll give you enough info on that, can't recall where it is, but have read it

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    youve pretty much got the bait boat down.ive got one i use to get way out in the no boat area at my home lake and it works the same way as you described.

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City

Johnnie, do you have a photo of your bait boat that you could post here?

Bill