Lake Eufaula Advice?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by philosopher, May 23, 2008.

1. philosopher

philosopher New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hello all,

I will be relocating near the south end of Lake Eufaula. I love catfishin but I grew up a river fisherman. Any tips or ideas on spots, techniques, etc? I am a bank fisherman for now, am working on getting a boat.

I am interested in Eufaula or Sardis advice?

Thanks,

Eric

2. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    highway 9 bridge is allways good for crappie, but i`m not sure about where to catfish. i`d state by getting a topo map of the lake,second if you live in the country look fishermaen who still put their catfish heads on top of their fence posts and stop visit , most catfishermen will give you advice. get`er done:big_smile:

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Sardis is a good bet when you get a boat. Get a topo map showing the bottom like Steve said... then try along deep dropoffs and in the deep trees this fall and winter.

It's too late in the season to get much pre-spawn action in the shallows. I don't recommend fishing in the spawn because each male cat is guarding the future of the catfish in the eggs and fry. Besides, the summer cats are smaller and often heat stressed, making them hard to keep alive with CPR.:embarassed:

I have turned to crapppie under the bridges and let the catfish raise their young of the year. I personally don't fish for spawning catfish... and that includes noodling for nesting flathead. It's a personal choice, much like choosing not to eat fatning foods while on a diet. It's completely personal and "Results Oriented".

I love to fish, so I turn my target fish from catfish to carp and gar during the summer. Neither are in danger of being overfished and they are FUN. :smile2:

Winter is my favorite time to chase catfish... and I target "Trophy-Sized" blues that can top 100 pounds.

4. dennis.p

dennis.p Guest

I was wondering if you hunt, because if so do you feel the same way about shooting deer during the rut? Or shooting turkeys in the spring.

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I hunt deer and occasionally a turkey.

Those that know me would not ask such a question, but since you don't, I'll extend an invitation to you to come and fish with me. You'll get to meet me and learn what you do not yet know about me.

There is a very broad line separating the fish from game... but the ethics is the same.

1. Don't kill more than you need.
    2. Follow the game laws.
    Summer causes lower than normal dissolved oxygen in the water. Catching a fish stresses the fish and increases it's need for oxygen. More fish will die due to lack of oxygen stress after being caught in the summer, even if they are gently handled after being unhooked.

CPR is more likely to cause the summer-caught fish to die within a week than a fish CPR'ed in the cooler weather because of infections caused by hook and slime removal.

I encourage fishermen to keep all fish caught when the water is warmer than spawning temperature on the premis that mortality is higher. That way there is no waste of the resource.

As far as deer and turkey hunting, I still haven't figured out how to CPR one after putting a big hole in it...:roll_eyes:

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    dennis take him up up on the offer to go fish . i don't know albert personaly but i know some really good catfisherman in oklahoma that tell me he's probably the best.

7. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Now ya got me blushin...:embarassed:

8. dennis.p

dennis.p Guest

My question was in reference to catching fish during the spawn. Not about catch and release, and yes I'm a catfish noodler.

9. dennis.p

dennis.p Guest

I have a question that maybe someone could answer for me. The other day I had a positive reputation and now I have one that's negative 3500, how does this happen?

10. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    people can vote on your rep. by useing the rep button. and you can do the same. as people read what you say. they will basicly vote on what you have to say. and that is the rep. well thats how i was told and took it.people can raise your rep with they agree with you or lower your rep if they dont

11. contrygirl69

contrygirl69 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hello Eric
    I live at Mill Creek Bay area at Lake Eufaula the fishing there is great me & my husband go to the mouth of the river there and fish. We been having some great luck with catching Blue Catfish. Good Luck ! Regina:big_smile:

12. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Next to Albert I am a rank amature but I can help you catch more Catfish than you can possably cary almost every time you go at Eufalla Dam. And I live very close to Sardis Lake and fish it at least once a week in the spring. I have even had the honor of meeting Albert at Eufala Dam. I fish Eufalla Dam regurly we camped at the dam the whole week before Keystone 6 On the worst day i cought perhaps 50 pounds. Tuesday a week past I cought over 100 pounds and 2 large strippers in 4 hours of fishing. I gave the fish to Mike Holiday for a Church fish fry. I will be up there camping and fishing for 2 weeks starting June 10. I will be in a converted Scool bus in the east side dam campground. Stop by any time those two weeks and I will be more than happy to show you how to catch more catfish than you can posibly cary every day you fish with me guranteed!! as long as they don't open tainer gates but do open at least 3 turbins!! :wink:

13. lonnie84

lonnie84 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I won't be able to make it down there, but was wondering if you fish from bank or boat?
    Also, way to go on supporting the Church with fish for the fish fry. :big_smile:

14. dennis.p

dennis.p Guest

If you just drive along highway 69 you'll find all kinds of places to fish without a boat. The old higway 69 runs into the lake, and a lot of it is still accessible. Highway 31 is the same way you can see the old bridge culverts and you can drive right up to most of them.

15. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a boat but personally I believe I can catch more from the bank. I am trying to get ausucks to repair my transum then I will fish some from the boat. But I only fish below Dams Shore fishing in a lake just cannot be compaired with dam fishing. You see mass amouts of fish especially Catfish hang out at the dam, plus they go up stream as far as possable to spawn and they sure can't go farther than the dam.:wink: