Lake Eufala information...

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by massa_jorge, Jan 30, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    howdy brothers and sisters! i am thinking about taking a trip to eufala this summer. i haven't been there in years, and i don't know what ramp we put out on. i am looking for a spot there that has some good camping for the family, and maybe restrooms.
    if anyone has any information that could help, i am wanting to catch some stripers and of course cats.
    thanks!
    oh yeah, we will be restricted to the bank!

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I can help.:smile2:

Eufaula is so big, it's like two different lakes. West of US69 is the upper end of the lake...3 river arms, standing timber, good catfishing, and the water is shallow and muddy.

East of the highway, the lake is deeper and clearer.

There are a number of COE campgrounds on the lake, as well as two state parks, with full facilities. I live near Fountainhead State Park, and can recommend it,,,very nice, marina, swimming beach, enclosed fishing dock, nature center...the whole enchilada.

You got questions? I got answers. Fire away.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    alright! i hoped someone would answer! well, what's the best bait? before taking a trip out of town, i usually fill a 70 quart cooler solid with frozen shad and cut carp. it gives me enough bait to fish for a few days, and the low temp of the frozen fish keeps the whole thing cold. i will look up fountainhead and check it out. i think shallow and muddy would be the best spot, as we will be going in the summertime. when i went we caught mostly blue cats, and some pretty big ones. how are the flatheads there? from the way it looked, it has the right habitat for some good ones. i really appreciate the info!
    jordan

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Shad's da bomb! You shold be able to catch all you need, but it wouldn't hurt to bring a few, just in case.

You're right, blues are the dominant cat species, although there are plenty of flatties and channels, too. Sorry, no stripers...gotta fish below the dam for them.

If you decide to come, I can drop by the park and pick up whatever maps and other info they might have...be glad to send you a "care package".

5. okiefish

okiefish New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I saw in your post you wanted to go for some stripers too.
    THERE ARE NO STRIPERS IN THE LAKE. They can be caught below the dam
    There are however alot of sandbass(white bass) in the lake and some hybrids.
    Good luck