Lake Erie results

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Whiskerwhacker, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Well, the fishing was good at the power plant! Four of us went down yesterday (My grandpa, Mel, Chad and myself) and had a very good day on the water. We didn't get our lines wet until around 11am and caught the tail end of the morning bite. Things slowed a little during the day and then picked up again around 6:30PM or so. The evening bite was in full swing around 7:45PM when we had to pick up and roll home.

The fishing log says we boated 62 fish, but I know there were several that did not get wrote down because of the commotion in the boat from multiple fish coming on board at the same time.

Of the 62, 53 were channel cats. The rest of the catch was a mixture of bowfin, gar, bullhead, and sheaphead. The sheaphead were pretty respectable in their fighting ability. There were Gar everywhere, I would love to bowfish there someday.

The channels ranged from 1#8oz to 10#8oz. We caught 14 over 5#. When I got out of the shower last night I had a big red spot between my belly button and my sternum from the butt of my rod being there all day.:big_smile: We kept 12 fish under under 6 lbs and left the other ones to grow. We got a few looks at the dock from the walleye fishermen as we hoisted a 32# stringer out of the water. They all wanted to know where we fished until they realized we had catfish, then they all said something like, "Oh, those are catfish..." I guess I don't mind since the biggest walleye catch we saw was 5 fish.

Sparky, you will be pleased to know the cut sucker worked awesome. There were a couple boats around us and we were outfishing them many times over. One guy even asked what in the world we were using for bait. From what we gathered they were using shrimp or crawlers. We tried shrimp and crawlers as well, and caught one fish on each. Nothing worked like the sucker though. The plain cut stuff worked well, but I think the stuff in the liquified guts worked a little faster and the bite seemed to be more consistent. JMHO

If anybody goes there PM me and I will tell you what little I know from 1 trip.

Attached Files:

2. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Here is a couple more pics.

Attached Files:

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Great Photo's! It sound like you had one heck of a good time out there. Like I have said before, cut sucker is a great bait this time of the year. The two fish I caught the other day, were on sucker bellies. It surprised me to get that large Pike on sucker belly just sitting on the bottom, but I guess they have to eat too.
    Sparky

4. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Nice pics! Sounds like an awesome day on the water. Cut bait rules as far as I can tell. I have no problem sticking my hand in a big flatheads mouth, but no way will I grab a big channel by the pie hole. You're alot braver than me!!

Dan

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fantastic pictures,those were nice size channels. Please explain what are sheepshead?That sounds kinda like saltwater to me. I thought the Great Lakes were all fresh water!:confused2:

6. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Thanks for the report and congrats on the great trip.

7. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    A sheaphead is a freshwater drum. I don't really know anything about them, they are kinda ugly but have pretty coloring. They also have a "lucky stone" behind their eye. A guy on a fishing pier gave me one when I was a kid, I had it in my tackle box for the longest time. It looks like a white marble cut in half and on the flat side is a "L". I will attach a picture of one we caught.

Dan, I don't know if I am braver or dumber. I see all the "magazine" guys mouthing channels so I assume it can be done. I can do it without injury most of the time as long as I can get their mouth "turned inside out" quickly enough. The one in the pic gave me a nice bite though. I usually only do it on the bigger ones as I can get a underside hold on the ones my hand fits. Out of curiosity do you have a good way to hold bigger ones. I would love any ideas you have.

Attached Files:

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Awesome trip Steve. I have to get out soon to my side of Erie.

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Steve,
    I'm with Dan, on that business of putting my hand in the pie hole of a channel. Some years ago, I caught a channel through the ice while I was perch fishing. I had a 4" hole and couldn't get it through. I thought to myself, what the heck, bass fisherman lip fish all the time. Soooooooooooooooo, I put my thumb in his mouth, and yanked it though the hole. Much to my surprise, that fish put a vice grip on my thumb and wasn't about to let go. I spotted another fisherman about 100yd. away and asked if he had a pair of pliers. He responed, "sure I do". I started walking his way, with catfish hanging on my thumb with a death grip. When I got up close to my new friend with a tool to help me out of freezing pain, his eyes got the size of my small fishing hole. He said, " Holy smokes, does that hurt"? I mean, come on, the Blood was dripping down the side of my hand and needless to say it was COLD out. My new friend, pryed open this creatures mouth and I pulled my bloody thumb out. He dropped the fish on the Ice and as he was pulling his knife out and said," Do you want me to stab it, or do you want a go at him"?
    I first thought about kicking that cat clean across the Saginaw Bay, then reallity set in. I said, "you know that rascal has been through a lot the last few min., lets put him back in the hole". So, I did. I was shocked at the grip that 6 or 7lb. cat had.
    Moral of story! When ice fishing make bigger hole. If I do catch another cat, don't put your thumb in it's mouth.
    Sparky

10. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    My first experience with cats was the same. It was two summers ago and I caught a 4 pounder. I too thought it would be the same as a bass and had much the same results as you did. Then I read of the "right" way to do it, except if you don't get it "right" you get bit. It does work, but I am finding it risky at best. Anything under say 5-6 pounds I can grip from the underside. But I am thinking I may start cradling the bigger ones and just live with the slime all over myself. I am waiting to see if more experieced guys have any genius tricks up their sleeves.

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice pics Steve. Thanks for sharing them with us.

12. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Steve had a little hamburg for a thumb but he stayed well away from the Gar.

13. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Big channels have tore up my knuckles way too many times. It's unbelieveable how strong their jaws are. I usually grab the small ones behind the head with the two dorsal spines resting against the front side of my thumb and index finger. When the fish are too big to get a hand around ( about 7-8lbs is the limit )I grab them around the tail with one hand and cradle them under the belly with the other hand. You really can't even put a finger behind the gill cover on the darn things or they'll smash your finger that way too. Tuff fish to handle in the boat. If flatheads acted like channel cats I really think they'd chase some guys right out of their boats. Flatheads sre usually pretty calm in the boat. Heres a pic of how I hold a bigger channel cat.

Attached Files:

14. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Thanks for the pics and story Whiskerwacker. That looks like one great day on the river. I have caught Sheephead my whole life as they are abundant in the river systems up here. They can fight ok sometimes, but they are generally a disappiontment when targeting catfish.

Thanks for the tips RiverKat on how you grab channel cats. I have always had trouble getting ahold of them when they get about 7 or 8 pounds, I'll try the "tail and belly" technique this year. I also have had knuckles gnarled from lip grabbing and gill grabbing those darn channels.

Happy fishin' everyone! I am glad it is Spring.

15. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    In the lower Grand River, a sheepshead about 4-8" makes a dynamite flathead bait, too. When fishing a sheepshead as bait I have literally never failed to catch a flathead. I wish I could get them more often.

16. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Now you tell me Tony! I always wondered what you kept in that bait pail that you never let me open the lid on.LOL

Thanks for the tip Dan. Now I don't need to buy a chain mail glove. They sure can bite though.

17. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    BTW Glad to see you on here Mel!

18. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Whiskerwhacker (Steve) and I along with five other guys went to Lake Erie on Wednesday the 2nd. We had two boats and three of the guys had never fished for catfish before. Steve kept a log for our boat which he had 25 fish entered. I think he is a lousy log keeper as I know we caught more than that. The other boat said they had about 25 fish with 2 over 12 lbs. I believe the biggest one we got in the boat was about 8 lbs. Whiskerwhacker has some pictures which I am sure he will post when he gets time. We got there shortly after daylight and fished till 12:30. It was a good day on the water, not as good as the first trip down there but a very good time. The new guys had a good time. I am sure they will go again. Whiskerwhacker even left his banana at home.

19. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    You are probably right Mel, I am sure that I caught much more than the log said:lol: .

20. davedmg

davedmg New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Sparky:
    That was a very nice thing to do! Keep it up!:0a24: