Lake Erie - headed up in 2 weeks to do some STEELHEAD fishing.

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Dmcsa1201, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Ive been putting my work in and havent been getting much but i love just going out and sitting by the river. Maybe spring ill be able to get some fish going and maybe a new PB. Which brings me to this post. I am going up lake erie for the second time ever and first time ever to fish. Im supposed to head up in 2 weeks to do some STEELHEAD fishing. Im soo excited cause i heard it is a blast. Any one got any tips for me? Cause im not to familiar so i gotta read up Quick.:smile2:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    can't help you on the steelheads, but I have fished Erie a bunch for walleyes... im sure someone will be able to steer ya right! goodluck on your trip! rollo

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'll be up there Thanksgiving weekend to try for my first steelhead.

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Get yourself a long rod. I use a 10' 6" shakespeare agility light action. Spooled up with 6 lb. mono or flurocarbon. Some real small bobbers.
    Try waxworms or minnows drifted along the bottom. You could also use a fly rod if you got one. Some good flies are wooly boogers, sucker spawn, or glo bugs. I like to use pink glo bugs alot or wooly buggers in black, brown or white. If the creeks are a little low you'll probably do better at elk creek. You can also catch them @ the mouths throwing spoons.

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    try fishing at trout run, always do great there. crawlers, shiners, powerbait, and skein all work great. spinners work well to as well as rapalas.

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    The water has been really low and clear lately and the ticket has been single eggs. Ive had a few buddies go up within the last 2 weeks and they said the were getting some looks using other stuff but the single egg was the only thing getting consistant hits. Ive had pretty good luck in the past with Mini-foos as well. Personally, I like the ones with some glitter thread in them, but plain white worked pretty well too. Ive used lures with varying degrees of success. Little Cleo's in green/silver and blue/silver worked pretty well last year, and hot pink/silver, slime lime/silver and orange/silver worked the year before. Last year the best lure for me was a 1/8 oz white rooster tail and an 1/8 oz gold Kastmaster. When you go up, stop in at Poor Richards and find out what has been working, those guys usually know whats working and you can get any supplies you need. You can also take some fish in there and exchange them for smoked Steelies if your interested.

7. wetflyguy

wetflyguy New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Got that right about the guys at Poor Richards.
    They run a top shelf place!

Wet

8. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Well i was supposed to head up to erie today but other things had to come first. Im supposed to head up on thursday, thats what im aiming for.

9. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Hope you get to go and that you catch a bunch! Fish a little for me will ya? LOL
    I always loved Steelhead fishing, catching and eating but have not been since I left Michigan in the 70s.

Good luck to you!

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck with the steelheads

11. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    If steelhead in gonna be no good then anyone know any other good places to for walleye pike muskie anything? from shore that is.

12. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    There might be some perch or something @ the north shore pier out on the isle

13. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Well the time has come. Ive been running around all day and havent had any sleep. Time to get a few things together and head up erie. Hopeing to get me a steelhead or anything..

Not gonna get to watch the games but,

Goo Pens And Steelers

14. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    good luck, i hope you catch a bunch. even if you just latch into one you will be hooked on steehead fishing. awesome sportfish and tasty too.

15. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Got up to erie today and it was awsome. Fished at walnut creek mouth. Windy as hell, snowing, and some waves smashing the channel hard. The morning i was fishing the basin with minoes and powerbait. Not even one darn bite. It came around Noon and I figured to throw a jig and maggots on. And next thing you know i caught my first steelhead. :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:. Awsome fish. By time it came around to 4 oclock i caught 6 of them babys. Missed a few and lost a few. The biggest one was 8lb 6oz and the rest were no smaller than 6lb. My buddy scot caught a 10lb 3oz. All around an awsome day. Stayed out all day and was very very warm. I will be sure to post pictures asap. Have to take ten more pics to fill up the roll then get it developed.

Thanks for the people that gave me tips and help on how to catch these steelies.:0a31:

16. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    well Damien your hooked now brother. glad to hear you had a good time. doesn't feel so cold when you latch into one does it.

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

I have the chance of getting up there this weekend. Have any of you Westerners taken the short drive up there and had success lately? It's a 6.5 hour haul from Philly and hope t his trip is not futile.

What are the recomended baits?

18. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Tan i haven't been up in awhile but others i know have and they were catching fish at trout run and of the wall at walnut. skeine and powerbait was working along with mini foos and maggots. here's a little trick for ya to try. buy some fish oil caps at the store and poke a hole in one and put on whatever bait you try. don't be suprised if you start outfishing everyone around you. don't let them see what your doing just keep'em wondering how your doing it. the fish oil gel caps are pretty cheap and well worth it. whatever you have left don't use them next year as they don't work near as well as a fresh bottle does. they seem to lose their mojo after a year or so. good luck and have a good time. with the rain we are getting there should be alot of fish running now.

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I hear rain is major factor in the bite?