Lake Erie Catfishing.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Hearthstone52, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Hearthstone52

Hearthstone52 New Member

State:
    Moores Hill, IN.
    Just was wondering if anyone goes up to Lake Erie around Port Clinton/East Harbor State park. We used to go up there fishing for Striped Perch and at night go out to the backwaters and go catfishing. Did real good too. It's been quit a few years since I been up there. And I know the perch arn't like they used to be. Was courious on how the catfishing has been.
    Jack at the South Pole in Antarctica:tounge_out:

2. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    Jack, Ive fished for cats at Port Clinton and Sandusky bay from the shores. Ive always had great luck with channel cats 3-4ft under a bobber with night crawlers. Is it just me or do Lake Erie channel cats look different than any others? They are long and skinny with huge bugged eyes. :confused2:...Still fun as heck to catch tho! So hows the weather there in the South Pole?

3. Hearthstone52

Hearthstone52 New Member

State:
    Moores Hill, IN.
    Yes the cats were always like that . Always seem to catch channel no flats. Not to bad it's still dark here the sun should be comming up in about 25 days. Right nowit's only -72 deg below out with a windchill of-120.
    Last week it got to around -98 and the colder weather still is not here as yet LOL:eek:oooh:
    Jack...

4. Gary B

Gary B New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Hang in their Jack. I am off to Baghdad on the 23rd. It's been 115F their everyday. Some of that snow is going to sound pretty good before long.:big_smile:

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC guys. -98.... no thanks..... 115.... no thanks..... Man, you guys is TOUGH!

Welcome once again.... come to my place which is a lot warmer/cooler than wher y'all are :wink:

6. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have done quite a bit of fishing all around Port Clinton. The perch isn't like it used to be when I was a kid but alot of guys still limit out daily. I remember a time when there wasnt a limit and filling a 55gallon drum was done by noon though. I have had pretty good luck catching channels around where the jet express launches and around the rt 2 bridge. I have heard that people catch flats around kelly's island but I have yet to check that out for myself. My 16ft open bow tri-haul isn't really made for lake erie fishing

7. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    PORT CLINTON CITY PIER STILL DOES GOOD, SANDUSKY BAY BRIDGE STILL DOES GOOD, BOTH ARE BETTER IN THE SPRING. HAVEN'T BEEN CATTING AT EAST HARBOR IN YEARS BUT I WOULD BET THERE STILL IN THERE. LAKE ERIE HAS PHENOMINAL CHANNEL CAT FISHING WITH GREAT POPULATIONS OF FISH.